Photos not syncing or uploading RAW files to iCloud.

Since I updated to Ventura, Photos app is not synching NEF (RAW) camera files with iCloud. It synchs JPG fine but not the RAW files. I've tried the hold control and command while starting photos and let it "fix" the library. No luck. I imported 3 RAW files from my camera (D500) today. IT is hung up on "synching 3 photos) and when I open these 3 photos in the app they show as blurry (unresolved). The photos are not blurry as when I edit them in another software they are fine.

Is the incompatibility between Photos Version 8.0 (511.0.180) and RAW files (and synching them to iCloud) a known issue that will be fixed?

Posted on Nov 4, 2022 3:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2022 12:20 PM

Old Toad,

Thanks for the answer. Yes that is something we checked when the Apple guy was on the phone. My camera (Nikon D500) is on the list of supported models.

Here is an interesting development. Today I imported RAW file to test it again. Same thing, after a few hours nothing uploaded. for grins, I edited the photo (just clicked the auto edit icon) and then immediately clicked "Edit / Undo Edit". Guess what? Yep, it synched the file with iCloud in a matter of seconds.

This definitely seems to be a bug in the interface between Photos.app and iCloud. Monday I will relay this to Apple Support. If it is a bug, I hope they can fix it quickly. I use Photos a lot for my photography. About 300-1500 photos a week.

Similar questions

39 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2022 12:20 PM in response to Old Toad

Old Toad,

Thanks for the answer. Yes that is something we checked when the Apple guy was on the phone. My camera (Nikon D500) is on the list of supported models.

Here is an interesting development. Today I imported RAW file to test it again. Same thing, after a few hours nothing uploaded. for grins, I edited the photo (just clicked the auto edit icon) and then immediately clicked "Edit / Undo Edit". Guess what? Yep, it synched the file with iCloud in a matter of seconds.

This definitely seems to be a bug in the interface between Photos.app and iCloud. Monday I will relay this to Apple Support. If it is a bug, I hope they can fix it quickly. I use Photos a lot for my photography. About 300-1500 photos a week.

Apr 13, 2023 7:58 AM in response to jeffnles1

I have the same problem (Nikon D500 NEF-files) and just found this thread. I tried the "auto enhance" and the undo on a couple of images, and just like stated before the images then starts uploading to icloud. I then selected 100 images, pressed cmd-e and waited until all images hade been processed. Then I pressed cmd-z (or "undo" under edit), and voila all images are now syncing fine. So that seems to be a workaround until the issue is fixed.

Nov 5, 2022 2:53 AM in response to jeffnles1

I talked with Apple Support. Their suggestion was to leave it running all night and see what happens. Well, this morning, I had a message on Photos "2 items could not be uploaded" and it was indeed the 2 RAW files that I had imported yesterday. It seems as if RAW files can no longer be synched between Photos and iCloud. Anyone else having this issue? It is really going to cause me to have to stop using Photos and go to something like Light Room and I truly dislike Light Room. RAW files have synched with iCloud via Photos since at least Snow Leopard.

Jan 9, 2023 7:21 AM in response to jeffnles1

I think I may have discovered how at least to avoid the problem. It seems that If I start editing BEFORE the image has synced to the iCloud then I get the blur after editing problem (It is also impossible to duplicate and it gives you the message "Failed to download Asset for duplication"). If I wait to ensure that all my upload has synced then I don't have the problem. Perhaps you could check. It might be about being a bit patient!

Jan 10, 2023 9:06 AM in response to simon@madfam

Simon,

Thanks for your response. Yes, the photos will eventually synch. However, it usually takes between 1 and 5 hours to fully synch the NEF (RAW) files to iCloud. There are days, as a wildlife and nature photographer, when I may be keeping well over 100 images. The last time I was working with Apple support on this problem, I imported 10 RAW files and allowed it to run to see how long based on a request from the Apple Support Team. After 3 days (72 hours) they still had not synched. A single image will eventually synch sometime overnight.

The last update I had from Apple Support was over 1 month ago. I'm not holding a lot of hope for a resolution.

Jan 28, 2023 6:30 AM in response to SelineMac

It's definitely a Ventura 13.1 issue, never happened before I installed this newest version. And only for RAW files, never for Apple iPhone images. As I've posted, the solution is (irritatingly) to be patient and wait for the upload to the iCloud to synch.

I haven't raise a support request with Apple but would be very grateful to hear what reply you get.

Feb 7, 2023 4:53 AM in response to Bill Winward

I agree. The work around Apple Support suggested doesn't work either. They said just go to iCloud.com and upload your RAW files. Well, you cannot upload RAW files to Photos on iCloud.com only jpg files.

The workaround I found that works but is a pain and unacceptable is to do an edit (click the magic wand) and then immediately undo the edit. RAW files synch then. If I have 8-10 RAW files that is workable but as a wildlife and nature photographer, I frequently shoot 300-500 shots in a single day and if I am on location for several days, well, the math doesn't add up.

I talked with the Apple Support "adviser" again last week and he said the fix would come with a future OS update. I asked when and he said he would let me know when he heard. At this point I think we are waiting for OS 14 or later.

I really don't want to switch my catalogue to LightRoom because I like the convenience of having photos automatically synch with iCloud but that may her where I'm heading. At least if I do that I can back off of the 2TB iCloud storage.

Photos not syncing or uploading RAW files to iCloud.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.