Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting a page in Pages? It deletes all pages...

I'm in thumbnail view, and when I go to delete a page, it deletes all the pages. I can undo it, but I just need to delete select pages.

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 12:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 2:32 PM

As convenient as it would seem, you cannot delete a thumbnail in a Pages word processing document to remove a page. You must select the entire page contents and then delete that selection. It helps to have toggle, Show Invisibles on (shift+command+i) so you can see the hidden page break indicator in blue.

A Layout style document does permit one to remove page content by deleting the respective thumbnail.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2021 2:32 PM in response to Jwrbloom

As convenient as it would seem, you cannot delete a thumbnail in a Pages word processing document to remove a page. You must select the entire page contents and then delete that selection. It helps to have toggle, Show Invisibles on (shift+command+i) so you can see the hidden page break indicator in blue.

A Layout style document does permit one to remove page content by deleting the respective thumbnail.

Jan 6, 2021 10:45 PM in response to Jwrbloom

Shouldn't, but if it's a concern, it is quite easy to check:

Objects on pages below, unless set to Stay on Page, should move up to close the gap.

Open your document, then press the option key and choose Save As from the File menu.

Make a small change to the file name (e.g. add "copy" to the name), then Save.

Close both documents, then reopen the copy.

Select and delete the contents of the page you want to delete, then inspect the changes that makes to the document.

If all is OK, carry on. If not, you have your original to fall back on.

Regards,

Barry

Deleting a page in Pages? It deletes all pages...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.