Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

no available disc option to install macos

I'm trying to upgrade from High Sierra to Mojave. I downloaded Mojave no problem but I can't get it to install. I go through the install screens and I am only given one disk option to select to install macos. When I click on the disk it states "This disk is used for Time Machine backups". So I'm stuck. Any words of wisdom?

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 9:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2021 1:40 AM

You do not have another disk to point Time Machine at, well you should if you are going to use Time Machine

or another backup regime.

There is no point to having Time Machine backup to the disk you are running your OS on.

The whole point of Time Machine is that should your mac internal drive fail then you

have a backup on another disk you can use to restore your mac to when you install a new disk.

If you have Time Machine backups on the same disk as your internal disk then when the disk fails you lose your

OS and your files and the backups you were hoping would rescue you.

As I said look for the Backups.backupdb folder and start deleting the contents of the folder,

this may take some time as there are hundreds of thousands of files in there, do one backup

at a time. you must be an administrator to do this.

When you have deleted the contents of the Backups.backupd folder then try deleting the

Backups.backupdb folder.

Only when you get rid of that folder will you be able to upgrade to macOS Mojave on your internal disk.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2021 1:40 AM in response to ZephKiy

You do not have another disk to point Time Machine at, well you should if you are going to use Time Machine

or another backup regime.

There is no point to having Time Machine backup to the disk you are running your OS on.

The whole point of Time Machine is that should your mac internal drive fail then you

have a backup on another disk you can use to restore your mac to when you install a new disk.

If you have Time Machine backups on the same disk as your internal disk then when the disk fails you lose your

OS and your files and the backups you were hoping would rescue you.

As I said look for the Backups.backupdb folder and start deleting the contents of the folder,

this may take some time as there are hundreds of thousands of files in there, do one backup

at a time. you must be an administrator to do this.

When you have deleted the contents of the Backups.backupd folder then try deleting the

Backups.backupdb folder.

Only when you get rid of that folder will you be able to upgrade to macOS Mojave on your internal disk.

no available disc option to install macos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.