Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2008 iMac stuck on OS X El Capitan download

I recently tried to download El Capitan on my iMac and when the update Finnish’s it just said no packages were elegible for download after that all I could do was restart the computer or shut it down, when I tried to choose a startup disk it didn’t come up with anything and when I turned the iMac on again I tried using command+R and that didn’t work. It won’t let me use the computer normally or download the update please help.

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 7, 2021 4:06 AM

1 reply

Jan 7, 2021 5:33 AM in response to Ni7ro

Boot to your Recovery HD and erase your macaw Disk level not at the indented Volume level.

The certificates for several of Apples OS's expired in October 2019, Apple have been very poor at getting these updated on their Recovery Servers with valid certificates. This may be the problem you are experiencing. 

Try this workaround, we are going to set the time and date on your mac to a date previous to the expiry date of the certificates.

Connect your mac to your router via cable, not WiFi

Boot to your Recovery HD, click on Utilities in the menubar select Terminal.

Make sure WiFi is switched off, it can reset the date back to today.

Enter a new date, for example or just copy and paste

sudo date -u 011421002016

press Return

enter your password

press Return

If Terminal returns an error saying sudo : command not found, then try again without sudo.

Now try downloading the OS.

If this works then when the OS is installed and booted up you can Open System Preferences> Date & Time

and reset the time back to today.

2008 iMac stuck on OS X El Capitan download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.