Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen flickering when watching Netflix on MacBook Pro

I just bought this very expensive machine and it can’t even play videos properly the screen flickers when watching videos on Netflix and Youtube, but when I turn off the Automatic graphics switching from power options in system preferences, it works fine...my complaint is why doesn’t it work properly when it is on, for a machine that costs over £2000 this shouldn’t be a problem at all.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jan 8, 2021 1:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2021 9:47 AM

Thanks for the reply, I tried everything (resetting NVRAM and SMC)

The problem occurs only when watching Netflix on Safari, and when automatic graphics switching is on in system preferences>battery>power adaptor settings. However, on Google Chrome everything works perfectly fine.

I think apple needs to fix the bug in Safari.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2021 9:47 AM in response to ryane77

Thanks for the reply, I tried everything (resetting NVRAM and SMC)

The problem occurs only when watching Netflix on Safari, and when automatic graphics switching is on in system preferences>battery>power adaptor settings. However, on Google Chrome everything works perfectly fine.

I think apple needs to fix the bug in Safari.

Jan 11, 2021 8:30 AM in response to abhijit178

Hey there abhijit178,

​Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities. We understand you're seeing flickers when watching Netflix and YouTube on your new MacBook Pro, and we'd be happy to help.

To get started, does this issue occur with all videos, shows, or movies? Are you using an external display with your MacBook?

Do you have any other accessories connected to your Mac, like an iOS device or external hard drive when the issue occurs with Automatic Graphics Switching enabled?

Depending on the answers to the above, it might help to reset the NVRAM or PRAM and the SMC on your Mac. For help with those steps, check out these links below:

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

How to reset the SMC of your Mac

Take care!

Jan 12, 2021 12:14 PM in response to abhijit178

abhijit178,

Thanks for providing those additional details. Going forward, since the issue is only occurring in Safari, let's give these steps a look as well: If Safari is slow, stops responding, quits unexpectedly, or has other issues

Another great option would be to test the issue in a new admin user account as well. This can help determine if the issue is isolated to just your account, or if the issue is system-wide. For help with creating new user accounts, check out this link for help: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

If the issue persists after the steps above and in a new user, we'd recommend reaching out to Apple Support directly at this link here: Get Support - Apple

Have a great day!

Screen flickering when watching Netflix on MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.