Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac loginscreen asks for pincode

I need sometimes a so called 'token' to sign documents digitally. Before signing a document it asks for my pincode and when it is right the document will be signed and so others can see the document was validated by me.

This 'token' is on an USB stick that I have to plug in my iMac running Big Sur (OSX 11.1). It can be checked by an app called 'tokenadmin'.

The problem is that when this token is plugged in and I let my iMac going to sleep mode I see my login-screen asking for a pin-code instead of my password. No matter what I fill in, pincode or password, neither is right. I have to remove the USB-token to let switch back the password field to 'password' and then I can login again.

Can anyone tell me if this is done on purpose? Or is this a bug that was already in the system before Big Sur and was not solved with the release of it. Is there a way to login without unplugging the token?

Thanks.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 8, 2021 3:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2021 5:52 AM

When you first plugged it in, did it ask if you wanted to “pair” it?

That step isn’t required to use it, but it then will use it for authentication when plugged in. It probably wasn’t designed for login use, so it doesn’t respond to the request. There is a terminal command to unpair it, but I’ll have to hunt it down.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2021 5:52 AM in response to jos3

When you first plugged it in, did it ask if you wanted to “pair” it?

That step isn’t required to use it, but it then will use it for authentication when plugged in. It probably wasn’t designed for login use, so it doesn’t respond to the request. There is a terminal command to unpair it, but I’ll have to hunt it down.

iMac loginscreen asks for pincode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.