Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Macbook air M1 - Asking for pin code instead of password (SOLVED)

Hello everyone,

I was having trouble to login in my laptop after a coffee break. It started asking for a PIN code instead the normal password. So i googled my problem and it took me there:

Requesting PIN instead of Password - Apple Community

None of those troubleshooting solutions helped me with my problem, which was being caused by having a Token / Digital certificate / YubiKey usb flash drive plugged in the hub.

To be fair, bumbleben0 mentioned the situation where you're using a YubiKey to login into your Mac and you lose it or simply don't have it with you, which is different from using a YubiKey for work, e.g., to sign public documents that require public-key cryptography. In the last case the computer will ask for the YubiKey, Token or Digital Certificate's PIN if it's plugged in when you try to login.

Those devices, in any case, either while being used as a Mac login method or as way of document signing or login into company or governmental websites they all rely on PIV (Person Identity Verification). Because of that, the system understands that you're trying to login into your Mac with the YubiKey, when in reality you're using that for other reasons.

Just remove the YubiKey, USB-Token, Digital Certificate from your usb port or hub, and login normally.

I hope that was helpful,

Regards.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Aug 23, 2023 7:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2023 10:08 PM

Thanks for that info! I haven't used a security key or smart card with my Mac, so it makes sense that I haven't seen that screenshot before. Cool!

macOS does (somewhat) support smart cards, and I think YubiKey leverages this so that you can sign in with a security key. The Apple Platform Deployment document goes into further details: Use a smart card on Mac - Apple Support (CA)

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2023 10:08 PM in response to Gabe_Vask

Thanks for that info! I haven't used a security key or smart card with my Mac, so it makes sense that I haven't seen that screenshot before. Cool!

macOS does (somewhat) support smart cards, and I think YubiKey leverages this so that you can sign in with a security key. The Apple Platform Deployment document goes into further details: Use a smart card on Mac - Apple Support (CA)

Macbook air M1 - Asking for pin code instead of password (SOLVED)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.