Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Classic - Big Sur - iTunes editing on iPod

Hi all,

Can't seem to find the specific issue I'm facing with Big Sur's ridiculous treatment of iPod classic on iTunes!

1 - Is there a way to have it in Alphabetical by Artist (with sub-order by Album title) as should be standard? Rather than song order. (see image 1) This is mostly preference, but it ties in with my next issues:

2 - Arranging them in the order I need to be able to group an album for editing is impossible as there is no search function any more, and pressing the relative letter of the alphabet to skip, does next to nothing as it only works for the letters visible on the page. Is there a way to change this?

3 - Now my main issue: once I have finally grouped the albums and artists in the correct alphabetical order, why can I no longer select that whole album or whole artist and edit them all at once.

example: an album with mixed artists is displayed on my iPod as multiple artists instead of my preferred lead artist (let's say... Gorillaz or MF DOOM) so to edit the album to have the same name for playback purposes (so my iPod isn't cluttered with 15 names of guest-spots for one album!) I would need to do so on iTunes... except that I can't edit even a single track without deleting the album and doing it all again in iTunes.

Hope I've been clear enough. I'm tearing my hair out at this baffling choice to make iTunes completely unusable.

Cheers.

Posted on Jan 8, 2021 5:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2021 9:24 AM

I think this thing will be the solution to your problems. DISCLAIMER: I am NOT involved with its development; I'm just an iPod Classic fan who was frustrated with how the older iPods have been treated since Catalina (and why I didn't upgrade my MBP from Mojave until I discovered this app last week):

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2021 9:24 AM in response to zeldarms

I think this thing will be the solution to your problems. DISCLAIMER: I am NOT involved with its development; I'm just an iPod Classic fan who was frustrated with how the older iPods have been treated since Catalina (and why I didn't upgrade my MBP from Mojave until I discovered this app last week):

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Jan 16, 2021 5:52 AM in response to turingtest2

That doesn't sound like a simple job when it absolutely used to be. I can't fathom why you'd remove such a basic option that has been available to both Mac and Windows users since the dawn of computers. Selecting and editing multiple files should not be a difficult task. And yet, Apple have made it so.

Bringing all this music, thousands upon thousands of songs within hundreds of albums, to my laptop would be risky as I don't own most of these CDs anymore and haven't the original files of a lot of them.

Giving Retroactive a go, see if that works (as I mistakenly called it Itunes when it's the inferior Apple Music that I'm having issue with).

Jan 16, 2021 7:59 AM in response to zeldarms

I haven't done anything, I'm a fellow user like you. Keeping the only copy of your content on a device that could easily be lost, stolen, damaged, or experience either hardware or software failure is unwise. All your content should be in a computer based library which you keep backed up. Whether you then manually drag and drop content to a device or sync with selected playlists is up to you, but syncing provides more control and sets up an easy path to get back to where you were should a device need to be restored or replaced. The link I posted previously should help you recover all of the media from your device.

tt2

Jan 20, 2021 9:37 AM in response to turingtest2

And I see the link was removed by a moderator because it was deemed "[not] directly related to the original poster's question" -- YES, IT WAS. The link was to an app called Retroactive, which allows you to install iTunes, Aperture, and other apps on the operating systems that no longer allow you to use them. That will help manage your iPod the way you always did before. Google it. It's on a Github address.

Jan 20, 2021 9:41 AM in response to ScatteredFrog

I noticed that, ScatteredFrog, thanks for the message.

Re**oac**ve actually was what I went for the other day and it works a treat.

Shame that Apple is censoring that, they clearly know that they've absolutely messed up with their unutterably abysmal 'Music' app. iTunes now works just as it did and means I can block-edit without having to resort to the other 'tips' that have been given.

Such is the way with Apple...

Thanks, ScatteredFrog 👍

iPod Classic - Big Sur - iTunes editing on iPod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.