Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External hard drive for I pad pro

Hi I am looking at getting an iPad Pro as I am very creative, I do however love films and was wondering if apple make an external drive I could download all my films onto so that I can I can watch them either on my ipad or link up to a tv??

if so what do I need to know and what are the best options for me

Posted on Jan 8, 2021 5:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2021 6:07 AM

Apple do not manufacture external storage drives or media. Storage drives (HDD, SSD and Flash “thumb” drives) are readily available from various commercial sources.

Whilst it is possible to copy some files/media to an external storage device, it is generally not possible to “play” media directly from the external storage device; media must first be copied back to the iPad - from where it can be played by a suitable App.

When playing media to a connected TV or Monitor, you will either use a suitable Adapter - or use AirPlay to a suitably equipped TV or AppleTV box.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2021 6:07 AM in response to Com-user-nam

Apple do not manufacture external storage drives or media. Storage drives (HDD, SSD and Flash “thumb” drives) are readily available from various commercial sources.

Whilst it is possible to copy some files/media to an external storage device, it is generally not possible to “play” media directly from the external storage device; media must first be copied back to the iPad - from where it can be played by a suitable App.

When playing media to a connected TV or Monitor, you will either use a suitable Adapter - or use AirPlay to a suitably equipped TV or AppleTV box.

External hard drive for I pad pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.