Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect Samsung T7 external SSD (USB C 3.2 V2) to Mac Pro 2013 (Thunderbolt 2)

I have just purchased a Samsung T7 drive as an external drive for my Mac Pro 2013. The Samsung T7 has a USB C connection (3.2 v2). I want to connect it to my Mac Pro's Thunderbolt 2 ports rather than it's usb 3.0 ports to get the faster transfer speeds. I have bought a Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 2 cable to go from my mac to a Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 (USB C) adapter, and then the Thunderbolt 3 connection from the other end into the USB C port on the SSD drive. However there doesn't seem to be any power going to the drive. Is this because it only works the other way around? As in the adapter has to be plugged into the computer, like it only works one way? If this is so, does anyone have a solution to how I can connect the SSD drive to the Thunderbolt 2 port on the Mac Pro. Any advice would be appreciated as i'm racking my brains trying to figure it out.

Mac Pro, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 8, 2021 10:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2021 12:06 PM

The Apple ThunderBolt-3 <--> ThunderBolt-2 adapter does not pass power.

About the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple Support

If your drive does not have its own power supply, use a USB connection instead. The difference in speed is unlikely to be meaningful.

Similar questions

5 replies

Jan 8, 2021 10:53 AM in response to pb20

Power is part of it, but the real reason it doesn't work because Thunderbolt 2 and USB 3.x are different protocols without mutual support for the other.

You would need some sort of Thunderbolt to USB 3 gen 2 translator/dock/device. Ideas:

• A Thunderbolt dock with USB 3 gen 2 output
  • A PCIe Expansion box with a mac compatible USB 3.2 gen2 PCIe card.
  • Give up on USB 3.2 gen-2 and either settle for 3.0 speed or switch to a self-powered Thunderbolt-3 SSD (bus-powered devices have power issues) or a legacy Thunderbolt-2 SSD.

Jan 30, 2021 4:59 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I did more research and here is what I found. With the setup mentioned it will need a "powered" Thunderbolt 3 Dock which will allow the Samsung T7 to get up to 1000 MB/s transfer speed. Probably a bit less with the overhead we always have. I get 400 MB/s write speed (empty T7) and 420 MB/s read speed on a USB 3.0 port.

The Thunderbolt 3 docks aren't cheap so I'll see if my video editing is gonna work with 400 MB/s or if I need more. My internal SSD drive of my MBP2015 run at 650 MB/s.

So, yes it can be done. But its very expensive.

How to connect Samsung T7 external SSD (USB C 3.2 V2) to Mac Pro 2013 (Thunderbolt 2)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.