Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Excel File Downloads

When I download xl files from by bank etc and open them, they open in Numbers not excel so I have to export them to excel. Is there any way that my excel file downloads can be downloaded automatically as excel files as I do not use Numbers very often? Thanks

Posted on Jan 9, 2021 9:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2021 11:35 PM

Hi gsgtd21,

I suspect you have Numbers set as the default application to open .xlsx files. You can change that setting with these steps:

• In Finder, locate any file with an .xlsx extension.
  • Click once on the filename to select that file, then
  • Press command-I (eye, not one) to Get Info.
  • In the Info pane that opens,, go to the Open with section.
  • Click on the bar with the application name (probably Numbers). It will expand to a list of applications.
  • Choose Microsoft Excel from the list.
  • Click the "Change All" button to make Excel the default application to open all .xlsx files.

Regards,

Barry

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2021 11:35 PM in response to gsgtd21

Hi gsgtd21,

I suspect you have Numbers set as the default application to open .xlsx files. You can change that setting with these steps:

• In Finder, locate any file with an .xlsx extension.
  • Click once on the filename to select that file, then
  • Press command-I (eye, not one) to Get Info.
  • In the Info pane that opens,, go to the Open with section.
  • Click on the bar with the application name (probably Numbers). It will expand to a list of applications.
  • Choose Microsoft Excel from the list.
  • Click the "Change All" button to make Excel the default application to open all .xlsx files.

Regards,

Barry

Excel File Downloads

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.