Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't do time machine backups anymore on NAS or Time Capsule

Not sure what happened but I can't make TM backups anymore to either my Time Capsule or my Synology NAS. I have already erased the Time Capsule and it's recognized, but once it starts preparing a backup I get an error message saying Time Machine can't make a copy either on Time Capsule or Synology ('Synology.local'). Is there some setting in my network I should be checking? Like in Little Snitch or so?

Thanks

MacBook

Posted on Jan 10, 2021 3:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2021 10:27 AM

If you cannot stop part of an application in Activity Monitor, the application has not been completely uninstalled from your Mac. You should not see anything in Activity Monitor for Sophos, Clean My Mac, etc.

Disabling Sophos or Clean My Mac does not completely remove it from your Mac.

We have seen numerous posts on the forum about Sophos causing issues with Big Sur. I am not familiar with Clean My Mac.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2021 10:27 AM in response to Fernando G

If you cannot stop part of an application in Activity Monitor, the application has not been completely uninstalled from your Mac. You should not see anything in Activity Monitor for Sophos, Clean My Mac, etc.

Disabling Sophos or Clean My Mac does not completely remove it from your Mac.

We have seen numerous posts on the forum about Sophos causing issues with Big Sur. I am not familiar with Clean My Mac.

Jan 11, 2021 12:04 PM in response to Fernando G

Do you have your Synology NAS configured to use AFP or SMB for Time Machine backups? The reason I ask is that the ".local" address would be associated with AFP.

For example, if your NAS is named "DS920" and the volume you configured for Time Machine is called "Data," then to access it via Finder, the command would be: smb://DS920/Data

On the other hand, if it is only configured for AFP, then that command would need to be changed to: afp://DS920.local/Data

From the error you are getting, I'm guessing that you have it configured for SMB, but Time Machine is using AFP to access it. Since macOS Sierra, Macs can support SMB v3, so be sure that it is enabled in DSM > Control Panel > File Services > SMB/AFP/NFS > SMB > Advanced Settings > Maximum SMB protocol: SMB3 & Minimum SMB Protocol: SMB2

Ref:

Jan 10, 2021 8:23 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Bob, thanks for the help.

I'm on the latest version 11.1 (Big Sur) and the message reads (translated from Dutch, which is my system language):

'Time Machine can't complete the backup copy on 'Synology.local'.

No disk image from from a backup image can be generated.

Something along those lines. And the same message appears when I choose my Time Capsule as the backup disk.

Jan 10, 2021 8:55 AM in response to Fernando G

Please remove Sophos completely from the Mac as a test, then restart the Mac, restart the Time Capsule and/or the NAS and see if Time Machine can back up now.

You may see "Preparing" for a long time before the back up actually begins. Do not stop the backup, let it run until it completes or until you receive another error message.

Jan 10, 2021 10:20 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks.

I first diasbled CleanMyMac X Health Monitor also and deinstalled Sophos as well. I then saw it running for a long time, I was hopeful, and then unfortunately the same error. I tried the timecapsule now instead and same thing. I don't see any of the CleanmyMac or Sophos processes running apart from SophosCBR and com.sophos.endpoint.scanextension which both can't be stopped in Activity Monitor.

Any ideas?

Jan 13, 2021 7:46 AM in response to Fernando G

Have you recently updated your macOS? I was having problems after upgrading from a 2014 iMac with Catalina to a 2017 one with Big Sur. You can't back up to a different macOS but you can migrate from one. Whatever the problem go into Airport Utility and click on the Time Capsule icon; it may ask for your password (i.e. your wifi password). You should now see the TC specs and click on edit, then on disks tab. There is an erase option. Erase won't affect your settings but will erase your backup/s. Try the least secure option first. If that still doesn't work try the next option. I'm a little hazy on this point as there's no available explanation that I can find but you can't use Disk utility because I quote "TC backup is in a different format (sparsebundle), which is used to make backups over LANs to reduce the total data to be moved. (Sparsebundles are lightly compressed to save that space.)"

Jan 13, 2021 7:51 AM in response to orchardsparks

Thanks to all the help everyone. I finally managed to get my Time Capsule back working and have made successful backup copies.

What I did: erased my TC completely (did not help). Then de-installed Sophos (no luck) and then finally deinstalled incl. all preferences from Cleanmymac. I think this program was the culprit. Haven't tried making a BU to the Synology TM but I guess that one will work too. Thanks again

I can't do time machine backups anymore on NAS or Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.