Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine help please.

I am using a late 2013 iMac and a LaCie 2TB external HDD as my time machine back up.  I am waiting the arrival of a new 27inch iMac and have been researching how to transfer data to the new machine.  It would appear the easiest way, (for a techno idiot like me), is to use migration assistant, my dilemma is do I delete the backup folder on the HDD before configuring to the new iMac, or will it use the same folder and access old information. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on Jan 10, 2021 3:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2021 4:46 AM

The new Mac will guide you through the migration process when you start it for the first time. See Apple's guide here, although that is slightly different to setting up a new Mac in that it advises that Migration Assistant will have to be launched manually.

Regardless, when prompted, choose the Time Machine option and insert your external drive. It will take some time to complete the "restore" of data to your new iMac.

When your new system opens you can continue using the same backups on the external drive and carry on as if it was the same computer, because essentially it is the same computer. Time Machine will prompt your for this choice. However, I've found that this inheritance of backups doesn't always succeed. If there is a problem, just reformat the drive and start afresh with a new Time Machine backup regime.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2021 4:46 AM in response to Ziphoid

The new Mac will guide you through the migration process when you start it for the first time. See Apple's guide here, although that is slightly different to setting up a new Mac in that it advises that Migration Assistant will have to be launched manually.

Regardless, when prompted, choose the Time Machine option and insert your external drive. It will take some time to complete the "restore" of data to your new iMac.

When your new system opens you can continue using the same backups on the external drive and carry on as if it was the same computer, because essentially it is the same computer. Time Machine will prompt your for this choice. However, I've found that this inheritance of backups doesn't always succeed. If there is a problem, just reformat the drive and start afresh with a new Time Machine backup regime.

Jan 10, 2021 4:53 AM in response to Ziphoid

First check if you have non-apple 32-bit apps on your Mac:

Click on the Apple icon on the menubar, About this Mac, Systemreport, Software, Applications. Look in this window at the column at the very right side. Check which apps or not 64-bit (forget the Apple apps: they will be updated to 64-bit automatically on your new Mac).

Update 32-bit-apps like Office 2011 to 64-bit apps like Office 365 or download the free alternative LibreOffice for Mac.

Backup now your old Mac again with time Machine.

As soon as you get your new Mac, connect the TimeMachine backup disk to your new Mac and use SetupAssistant or migration assistant to move content to your new Mac. It's possible you'll have to download new drivers for e.g. your printer (you could check if your printer supports AirPrint: in that case you don't need a new driver). You can also visit the developer's website of your printer to see if they have Big Sur compatible drivers.

Good luck and feel free to ask some more questions if you have some

Jan 12, 2021 8:26 AM in response to mulberry58

Many thanks for your reply, I am starting to be a little more confident about the problem.  Two questions if that’s OK?

I had used Microsoft office for many years until changing my allegiance  in 2013, I continued using it for a few years until Apple updated to 64 bit, at this point I transferred to Pages and Numbers is the LibraOffice a better choice?  I am Old School, that is I prefer my information ‘to hand’ not in the cloud.

Having read Apples information on the migration assistant, is it better to move the information from the back up disc rather than the wireless option from the old Mac.

Thank you for the help.

Time machine help please.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.