Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accent marks

In 11.1 Big Sur how can I continue to hold down a key for a vowel or an "n" to get a small window with a choice of accent marks chosen by pressing a number on the keyboard?

iMac Pro

Posted on Jan 10, 2021 2:15 PM

3 replies

Jan 10, 2021 2:32 PM in response to Conventonio

In System Preferences : Keyboard : Modifier Keys… click the Restore Defaults button. There does not appear to be an NSGlobalDefaults setting for ApplePressAndHoldEnabled in Big Sur, so references to that defaults write command that has worked over the years won;'t work.

You need to be in a text input area like this editor, or in a Pages document, where pressing and holding a key does present the array of accent character choices for me on Big Sur 11.1.

Jan 10, 2021 4:36 PM in response to Conventonio

Conventonio wrote:

In 11.1 Big Sur how can I continue to hold down a key for a vowel or an "n" to get a small window with a choice of accent marks chosen by pressing a number on the keyboard?

Which keyboard layout are you using?

You might still try the old command that use to fix this, can't hurt as far as I know, and I think it may have worked for some:

open Terminal app and type

defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool true

and then restart.

Let us know.

Accent marks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.