Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't add new contact

On MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur Version 11.0.1, I suddenly cannot add a new contact in "Contacts." I click the plus sign to begin adding a new contact, start typing in the information, but within several seconds suddenly the whole new contact abruptly vanishes, and I'm back in the basic view of all Contacts. There is no trace of the new contact I was trying to add, not even the few characters I was able to type. This happens whether or not I try actually entering information - even if I just sit there and wait several seconds, the new contact abruptly vanishes.

I thought "maybe too many contacts?" so deleted several. Same result.

Tried Quitting all other open apps. Same result.

Tried quitting and restarting Contacts. Same result.

Tried restarting the whole computer. Same result.

Workaround for the time being: add new contact on my iPhone, then (after a bit) it appears in my computer's Contacts, and I can edit it.

But I really want to be able to add new contacts on my computer.

Anybody know what the cause and cure might be?

Thank you.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Jan 10, 2021 6:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2021 5:48 PM

I have the exact same problem except it quits when adding the last name and creates an No Name contact. The suggestions makes no difference, especially the one about updating the MacOS version and the app store update. Contacts is built into the MacOS. I have the latest version of MacOS Big Sur 11.2.1. This is a BUG. I have been adding contacts the same way for years. Please fix this!

Similar questions

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2021 5:48 PM in response to mario49

I have the exact same problem except it quits when adding the last name and creates an No Name contact. The suggestions makes no difference, especially the one about updating the MacOS version and the app store update. Contacts is built into the MacOS. I have the latest version of MacOS Big Sur 11.2.1. This is a BUG. I have been adding contacts the same way for years. Please fix this!

Mar 10, 2021 7:18 AM in response to mario49

I have the same issue...nothing helps. All updates done but the Contacts-app is shutting down or creating one after the other "NAME" entry without a name or any data! This is a BUG...I can not continue to enter all my contacts on the phone... Issue happens either while entering the Surname or when entering the position...all of a sudden everything is gone and no Info remains in the contacts... Please fix this urgently!!

Mar 17, 2021 11:16 AM in response to Dani_H_

I just spoke to apple support (1 hour 50 min)and was told that this is an issue with Big Sur, and having the presence of a Google account setup on the device: syncing google account with contacts. If you disable the account, then you are able to add a new contact. But once you enable the google account again, you're back where you started from and cannot add a new contact. Their Engineering group is currently investigating that for a resolution. Which may come in the form of another software update. 

I was given this workaround, "One solution would be to migrate your contacts and move them all over to iCloud via Drag/Drop and then turn the google account off for now if you wanted. Then you'd also want to set your default on your iPhone to iCloud as well so that any new contacts you create on your iPhone do still sync to your Mac."

Personally, I'm just going to keep adding contacts on my iPhone or iPad until they come out with a fix.

Jan 12, 2021 7:49 PM in response to CarlAVII

Thank you for your reply. The link you provided gives general suggestions for what to do when "an app" stops responding. But this isn't just any old app, it's Apple's own 'system' app, namely

Contacts

version 13.0 (2452)

Regarding the support page you suggested, I had already tried steps 1 and 2 before posting this question. As for step 3 "check for updates" I've looked in the App Store, and searching for 'Contacts' I find a whole lot of auxiliary or alternative apps, but not the 'Contacts' app itself, so I don't see any path to update it. In the App Store left hand panel, I clicked on "Updates" and was informed "All your apps are up-to-date." I'm not about to risk losing all (probably thousands) of contacts by re-downloading and re-installing 'Contacts,' and I'm not even sure how I could do that, since I can't find the original app itself in the App Store.

If I get no other input, I suppose I should try to get a live person at Apple Support or at the Apple Store Genius Bar. How would I go about this?

Apr 15, 2021 2:43 PM in response to elmo11159

This is very helpful Elmo11159 - and thank you! It's pretty amazing to me that Apple hasn't been able to fix this - and here we are at April 15, 2021. Dang - they're usually more on top of things than this. That's why I stick with Apple. But this is ridiculous - especially if, like another person who responded and I, we depend on our address book for business!

Fingers' crossed they'll come up with a fix - or upgrade from Big Sur.

Barbara

Jan 13, 2021 8:38 AM in response to yashww

yashww,

Thanks for giving those steps a try, and keeping us updated.

Since the Contacts app is part of macOS, you'll want to make sure the macOS software on your Mac is updated: How to update the software on your Mac

If the issue persists, the section below may help:

"Get more help

Cheers!

Mar 27, 2021 12:34 PM in response to elmo11159

elmo11159, THANK YOU! This was the most helpful answer so far, thanks to your spending time with Apple support; you have my gratitude, if not your hour and 50 minutes...

Yes, I have a Google account; I hadn't ever been aware that it included an address book. And I had noticed, while poking around in Apple Contacts, that some (but not all) cards/entries on the computer (but not on the phone), when in Edit mode, show additional fields identifying that particular entry as a 'Google' card, or even 'AOL' card, so this makes sense (sort of...)

I presume the 'Google account' is global, and not limited to Contacts, so I don't think I'd want to turn it off, as I also use Google for calendar, Google Drive/Docs/Sheets, and so on.

So I'm with you on continuing the workaround for the time being.

Again, thank you!

Jan 12, 2021 5:18 PM in response to yashww

Hi there yashww,

We understand you're experiencing an issue with the Contacts app closing a window unexpectedly on your MacBook Pro, and we'd like to share a resource that can help.

While you're already tried some of the steps, give the remaining steps here a try: If an app on your Mac stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open

If the issue persists, review the "Get more help" section.

Cheers!

Apr 22, 2021 7:58 AM in response to barbmac8

I'm having the same issue, but found a simpler workaround: since I'm syncing my contacts with my Google account (which is apparently part of the problem?), I can go to contacts.google.com and enter the new contact there. They sync almost immediately with my phone contacts, and it's easier to type in details on my laptop vs. my phone. Hope this helps!

Apr 30, 2021 2:13 AM in response to gba-llc

Yes, I found that I have an extensive list of contacts at contacts.google.com, which I had never been aware of or used. Would it be possible to simply 'un-sync' it from my Apple contacts, without abandoning everything else I do on google (lots of stuff in google drive, google docs, google sheets, etc, etc...)?

I wonder how google contacts got synced with apple contacts; I don't remember ever asking to do that...

May 11, 2021 2:26 PM in response to yashww

Have seen this issue before. It appears resolved once updated to Current version 11.3.1 . Suggest doing the Time Machine Before attempting the update.

Also, have had more success doing this from Safe Mode and downloading the Full Installer from Apple Store rather doing the iffy and flakey Software Update method.

May 29, 2021 12:53 PM in response to PRP_53

I have the same problem on my iMac, and I am operating on Big Sur 11.4, so the bug STILL hasn't been fixed. My workaround is to enter the contact on my iPad Pro and then it will sync with my iMac. I have a Gmail account, but really it's only because Gmail hosts my personal domain name, and I never use the actual Gmail system for either email OR contacts. So I'm thinking it's a broader problem than just happening to also do business with Google.

May 29, 2021 2:48 PM in response to Roobars

Same problem on my MacBook Air Big Sur 11.4. I also have a gmail account and DO use it for email - through Safari. Had hoped that once they upgraded to 11.4 the problem would be fixed. Yes, of course we can add contacts on our iPhone or iPad - but that's no excuse. Apple doesn't seem to be paying attention to this thread to try to give us an explanation or fix. Very disappointing. I'm just wondering if it has anything to do with Apple and Chrome being in competition with each other.

Jun 3, 2021 1:06 AM in response to yashww

It so happens, I have the same problem related to creating a new contact on my MacBook Pro. However, I am still using Catalina. So, it looks like this problem 'yashww' is discussing is not a new problem after all! When is Apple going to resolve this for Catalina uses?

I have no intention of changing over to Big Sur anytime soon. I need absolute certainty I will not be compromised with all of my current applications, and unfortunately, I do not have that confidence as yet!!!

can't add new contact

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.