📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to identify launchpad apps linked to icons not in the applications directory or even a .app type?

The Google "G" icon has appeared in the launchpad with a weird name - "Default coobgpohoikkiipiblmjeljniedjpjpf" yes, all those letters. A search for all files of the app kind on the hard disk doesn't find this, it also does not find any extra or unexpected apps not already accounted for. That suggests this is linked to something else another item, possibly and probably executable and not in a good way. It is not deletable as it doesn't show an x in the corner when you press the option key. I cannot find it and I cannot delete it.

I have deleted the launchpad database, stopped launchpad and done a killall. It is rebuilt on reboot and it is still there. Tried doing it again in safe mode assuming caches are ignored but the same. The creation time of the launchpad db shows it is newly rebuilt.

Antivirus scans are not picking up issues.

Can anyone advise how to - identify what the icon is linked to a remove the referenced item. Remove the icon from launchpad.

Searches have not turned this problem up. Any and all help greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 11, 2021 3:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2021 12:53 AM

Have found the problem app and rectified Launchpad removing the icon.

I found a question on stack exchange about removing icons for Google apps when they had been deleted but remained in Launchpad. It suggested going to ~/Applications/Chrome Apps/ to find the remnant apps to be deleted.

Sure enough the weird long named App "Default coobgpohoikkiipiblmjeljniedjpjpf" was in that directory. I moved it to trash and emptied the trash and it no longer appears in launchpad. Hope this helps someone else if they experience similar.

And thank you VikingOSX for responding so quickly to give me options to investigate.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 12, 2021 12:53 AM in response to PDN_Ventures

Have found the problem app and rectified Launchpad removing the icon.

I found a question on stack exchange about removing icons for Google apps when they had been deleted but remained in Launchpad. It suggested going to ~/Applications/Chrome Apps/ to find the remnant apps to be deleted.

Sure enough the weird long named App "Default coobgpohoikkiipiblmjeljniedjpjpf" was in that directory. I moved it to trash and emptied the trash and it no longer appears in launchpad. Hope this helps someone else if they experience similar.

And thank you VikingOSX for responding so quickly to give me options to investigate.

Jan 11, 2021 6:10 AM in response to PDN_Ventures

Part of your problem may be that you have an anti-virus installed. There are countless posts over the years in these communities that recommend no anti-virus is necessary — and for good reason. There is built-in security in macOS that is all you need.

The string of junk associated with that Google icon may be simply adware/malware that was inadvertently installed by you, and anti-virus software would not see or prevent that anyway. I suggest that you download and run the free trial of Malwarebytes, and it may or may not detect/remove any malware present. You can uninstall it from its Help menu. It is a good practice to avoid downloading any software from any location other than the original software vendor.

Jan 11, 2021 12:54 PM in response to VikingOSX

Hi,

Thank you for the suggestion. I installed Malwarebytes and ran the scan. Nothing was turned up or detected so system clean from Malwarebytes perspective. I have uninstalled after as recommended.

Any advice how to access Launchpad at a low level and examine the entry for the icon to determine what it is pointing at and then how to remove that icon from Launchpad appreciated. Once I know what it is pointing at I should be able to remove it.

I suspect you are right and that it might be adware - when I clicked on it once it started Chrome in the background - but when I opened Chrome it went to the google home page - I am also wondering if it might be a result of a google app installation gone wrong. If not the use of the trusted Google "G" icon to get you to click on it inadvertently as I did originally before I noticed the weird name is pretty smart. I do as you say on the vendor software only from their site and checking reviews as well beforehand - very risk averse when it comes to installing software.

Jan 11, 2021 1:22 PM in response to PDN_Ventures

Sometimes, Malwarebytes fixes things without visually indicating that it detected anything. You may have an infected, or incompatible Google plug-in that may be contributing to the intrique too. Personally, I avoid Google Chome like Covid.

I suspect that the Launchpad database is now obuscated in a sqlite3 database that Apple has grown found of using.

Jan 11, 2021 2:15 PM in response to VikingOSX

I had similar thoughts on Chrome extensions/plugins so I checked them. Only 2 and I use them both, deleted and reinstalled, no change. Don't have much choice on using Chrome occasionally - Safari not well supported by some key government services in Australia. If a page misbehaves or has problems in Safari, its a pretty safe bet it works ok on Chrome.

I made a copy of what I think is the launchpad database .../Dock/desktopicture.db and opened the copy with sqlite3 browser. Yes... very obfuscated all app reference links appeared to be UUIDs and no idea how to resolve what they were pointing at. Unable to find any understandable text browsing round. Hoping someone can shed some light on that and whether there is just a simple way too delete this icon and what it is pointing to. Suspect it will ultimately require editing this db to resolve.

Is there a way to identify launchpad apps linked to icons not in the applications directory or even a .app type?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.