Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trust Store Version 2020082800

Morning,

I have an iPhone 12 Max Pro and I just updated my software to the latest Software Version 14.3

I just checked my Certificate Trust Settings and noticed that my trust store version is 2020082800 and my Trust Asset Version is 11. Is this what it should be?

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Jan 11, 2021 7:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2021 7:46 AM

Yes, it is what it should be. The trust store is an integral part of the current iOS version and it will always be the most recent for your iOS version. It cannot be modified unless you jailbreak your phone. If you bypass an iOS update the version may no longer be current, but this will rarely be a problem because the root servers whose signatures it stores rarely change.

A brief explanation of what the trust store contains: When you go to a website that supports SSL the site has a certificate used for encryption. That certificate is issued by a Certificate Authority (CA), who guarantees that the issued SSL certificate on the site is valid. The trust store contains the electronic signatures of all of the Certificate Authorities that are considered “trusted” around the world. When you visit a site your browser retrieves the SSL certificate from the site along with the signature of the CA that issued it; that signature is then checked against the Trust Store in iOS. If the signature is not in the trust store a warning will be displayed that the site might not be trustworthy.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2021 7:46 AM in response to 007kc4L

Yes, it is what it should be. The trust store is an integral part of the current iOS version and it will always be the most recent for your iOS version. It cannot be modified unless you jailbreak your phone. If you bypass an iOS update the version may no longer be current, but this will rarely be a problem because the root servers whose signatures it stores rarely change.

A brief explanation of what the trust store contains: When you go to a website that supports SSL the site has a certificate used for encryption. That certificate is issued by a Certificate Authority (CA), who guarantees that the issued SSL certificate on the site is valid. The trust store contains the electronic signatures of all of the Certificate Authorities that are considered “trusted” around the world. When you visit a site your browser retrieves the SSL certificate from the site along with the signature of the CA that issued it; that signature is then checked against the Trust Store in iOS. If the signature is not in the trust store a warning will be displayed that the site might not be trustworthy.

Jan 13, 2021 8:25 AM in response to 007kc4L

Hello 007kc4L,

It sounds like you have some questions about a trusted certificate on your iPhone. We can definitely understand the concern, and we are happy to help.

Is this device a personal device, or is it a work managed device? Your settings seem to appear as expected.

If this is a personal device, then to trust a certificate and turn it off, follow this article: Trust manually installed certificate profiles in iOS and iPadOS

If this is a work device, then we would suggest reaching out to your IT administrator.

We hope this helps!

Cheers!

Jan 22, 2021 8:11 PM in response to jdo_apple

Hi, thanks for responding however, I don’t think I was clear enough with my question. Basically my question is this:

In my Certificate Trust Settings my trust store version is 2020082800 and my Trust Asset Version is 11. Is this what it should be?

I am the owner of this iPhone 100%. Im unable to modify the certificate and thought every iPhone had a trusted store version in the Certificate Trust settings.

Mar 3, 2021 7:20 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Hi,

was wondering in regards to the trusted certificates, when I do a complete reset on my and it reboots the same as initially setting up the phone, it comes up with a warning a certificate is not trusted. I have tried everything to reset my phone, changed Apple ID, tried not even using an Apple ID.

I believe my ex has done something with either my handset, Apple ID or SIM card

sometimes my phone has a ghosting effect, or screen flashes similar to a screenshot, key stroke sound varies from loud to soft, has an echoing sound whilst on a call, phone can get excessively hot, analytic reports are daily for a range of reports compared to friends, find my iPhone turned on when I’ve turned it off, unable to reset my Apple ID password on my phone, seems to be able to bring up the same conversations I’ve held with a work colleague whilst having coffee and my phone is within range. The list goes on and on.

would this have anything to do with the certificate upon start up that’s not trusted ?

would this then be a carrier issue Or Apple ID or phone issue ?

i’ve been explained what ghosting or phone cloning is and I believe this is what’s occurred

I just don’t know how to fix my problem as I’ve had my phone number since it went digital

I’m at my wits end trying to fix this and I’m sick of appearing crazy - any suggestions on how to fix my phone please let me know

thank you

Mar 3, 2021 7:32 AM in response to Jkimber24

Sorry just to add to this, I’ve also had Apple help run diagnostics on my phone and they couldn’t detect anything and referred me to their local authorised repair shop, when I’ve explained it to the person they said a complete reset will fix it. After explaining it does not fix the problem and requested a complete factory reset he charged me $50 which was fine if it fixed the problem however it did not.

I have since been advised that the ghosting is set up behind Apple and they would not be able to detect on a diagnostic run

My ex is a convicted stalker and I know he has done something to my phone I just can’t work out how to fix it and get my privacy back

Mar 3, 2021 7:33 AM in response to Jkimber24

Certificate not trusted means that the certificate for a site or an app has expired or does not match the URL. This has absolutely nothing to do with the phone itself; it is a problem of the site. The first time you connect to the site you will see a dialog asking if you want to inspect the certificate, and if you do you can choose to trust it even though it has expired or is for a different URL. If you accept it you will not be prompted again, and your phone will treat it as a valid certificate, unless you reset the phone and thus erase the fact that you have previously accepted it.

None of your other issues have anything to do with an untrusted certificate. And it is not possible to “clone” an iPhone.

Mar 12, 2021 6:56 AM in response to ania116

ania116 wrote:

Mine says 12 so I wonder

What do you wonder about? The fact that trust certificates change over time, so Apple updates them periodically?

Or that it’s now 2021 and your trust store was last updated last August? Mine was updated a month ago (2021021100), but I keep my version of iOS up to date.

Do you know what trust certificates are? If you don’t it’s explained in the “Solved” post just below the original post in this thead.

Trust Store Version 2020082800

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.