Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Command R or Alt, Command R not working on Macbook Air

All most tried all the variations to get into boot recovery mode, but nothing worked so far,

Power off - Power on - command R

Power off - command R - Power on

Restart Command R

Power Off - Alt command R - Power on

Power off - Power On - Alt command R

Disk utility erase option fade out...

Now i have tried to create a bootable installer by pan drive and downloaded Os bigsur through terminal in pan drive, but again the issue arise when i try to use the bootable installer & press alt key while restart or power on, again its not going int to recovery mode..

please suggest how can i turn on recovery mode if alt command r not working...

is it possible to do so by terminal....

Posted on Jan 11, 2021 9:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2021 7:41 AM

Hi Vaib15,

Does your Mac have the M1 chip? If yes, Apple changed how the pre-boot environment works.

To access macOS Recovery or start up from another disk, follow these steps (if your Mac has the M1 chip):

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Press and hold the power button until the screen says "Loading startup options".
  3. Startup Options should now load. From here, you can choose which startup disk you want to start up from. Or, if you want to access macOS Recovery, select Options, then click Continue.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2021 7:41 AM in response to Vaib15

Hi Vaib15,

Does your Mac have the M1 chip? If yes, Apple changed how the pre-boot environment works.

To access macOS Recovery or start up from another disk, follow these steps (if your Mac has the M1 chip):

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Press and hold the power button until the screen says "Loading startup options".
  3. Startup Options should now load. From here, you can choose which startup disk you want to start up from. Or, if you want to access macOS Recovery, select Options, then click Continue.

Command R or Alt, Command R not working on Macbook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.