Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

White screen - recovery mode does not show a disk

I have a macbook air that suddenly I could not log into. I didn't forget the password, it just wouldn't let me in. I then started getting the white screen on bootup. In recovery mode, I try to reinstall the OS, and it brings me to the point of selecting the disk where I want to install it, but it does not show any disks.

In "repair disk" I can see the two drive partitions. I have verified and repaired the data partition. I can verify the base partition but the repair option is greyed out. I have also reset the NVRAM.

MacBook

Posted on Dec 25, 2019 11:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2019 7:38 PM

Try an SMC reset and a PRAM reset (hold the PRAM reset for at least three chimes so it activates several times).

Try rebooting your router just in case you have router WiFi issues. Give the router at least 5 minutes to finish booting before attempting Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R. Using a Thunderbolt to Ethernet Adapter to connect the laptop directly to the router using Ethernet is best though.

If you have access to another Mac, then you could try creating a bootable macOS USB installer.

If you still cannot boot the laptop, then you will need to take the laptop to an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider to be examined and repaired.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2019 7:38 PM in response to jpenns2

Try an SMC reset and a PRAM reset (hold the PRAM reset for at least three chimes so it activates several times).

Try rebooting your router just in case you have router WiFi issues. Give the router at least 5 minutes to finish booting before attempting Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R. Using a Thunderbolt to Ethernet Adapter to connect the laptop directly to the router using Ethernet is best though.

If you have access to another Mac, then you could try creating a bootable macOS USB installer.

If you still cannot boot the laptop, then you will need to take the laptop to an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider to be examined and repaired.

Dec 26, 2019 5:31 PM in response to jpenns2

What is the exact model of your MBAir? You can get this information by entering the serial number here or here. What version of macOS is currently installed on this laptop? What version of macOS is trying to be installed when you boot into Recovery Mode?

When you boot the laptop normally do you get the normal looking log in screen or do you now have to enter the username manually? What happens exactly after you enter your username & password?

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode?

If your drive is encrypted with Filevault, then you may need to first unlock it within Disk Utility to either scan the volume or to select it as a valid destination for the install.

Does Disk Utility show the drive as being partitioned as GUID and formatted with either MacOS Extended (Journaled) or APFS?

Dec 27, 2019 5:28 PM in response to HWTech

I can't boot the computer up at all anymore, even in safe mode. Just get a white screen. In safe mode there was an icon that showed up eventually of a folder with a question mark.

I don't know the serial number or model, unfortunately. This is a friend's computer. I believe it has Mountain Lion on it. It is trying to install Mountain Lion. The drive is not encrypted. Disk Utility does show the drive as partitioned and I believe it said MacOS Extended. But I can't even get into that anymore right now because it doesn't see my router anymore to do the internet recovery screen.

White screen - recovery mode does not show a disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.