Macbook Pro (intel) white screen; original install OSX disk (2006) and shows no internal Mac HD

On bootup, white screen yields to flashing file folder with ?

Inserted the OsX original disk to install.

Where? No options.

Running Disk utility - the only disk showing is the DVD drive. There is no Mac HD. so I'm truly stuck

I've tried to recover with all of the key combinations on bootup.

Cannot recover from Internet since there's no way to specify anything.

*I do have internet / tested network packets.

Appreciate any and all suggestions!

*all Finder options are grayed out.

*system profiler shows graphics card, RAM but the only storage showing is the DVD player

Posted on Aug 6, 2023 2:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2023 4:29 PM

A Drive that will not reveal BOTH its make&model and a reasonable, non-zero drive size/capacity can not be repaired, erased, or used with its current connection. if it has good cabling and power, the drive has died.

That model MacBook Pro can never be very useful on the Internet, because too much has changed. it can't make an encrypted connection any more.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2023 4:29 PM in response to storyseen

A Drive that will not reveal BOTH its make&model and a reasonable, non-zero drive size/capacity can not be repaired, erased, or used with its current connection. if it has good cabling and power, the drive has died.

That model MacBook Pro can never be very useful on the Internet, because too much has changed. it can't make an encrypted connection any more.

Macbook Pro (intel) white screen; original install OSX disk (2006) and shows no internal Mac HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.