Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer.

Info: Purchased used mid 2009 (born on date March 2010) Macbook Pro(5.5) 13" without original installation dvd. At first mb start-up, it displayed "? mark folder". Unknown pervious owner had "cleaned" the 160gb hd. Planned to upgrade anyhow so removed Ram & HD and installed new 8gb Ram & 500gb Seagate "hybrid" SSHD. Noted interior of mb having little dust accumulation, cooling fan almost no dust. The battery appeared original and status check showed 155 charging cycles. Bought set of the gray 13" Macbook Pro-- Mac OS X Install dvd, Mac OS version 10.6.3 and the Applications Install dvd, AHT version 3A192.

Inserted Install disk, held down C key and after several attempts and alot of whirling of the optical drive, the screen would end with the "Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer" and showing button to "Restore From Backup" or "Restart" button. Sadly I have no Time Machine and restarting just cycles back to the Mac OS X can't install screen. I popped out the Install dvd and insert the Application disk, held down D key and ran the AHT in both quick and extended. Both diagnostic test found NO TROUBLE.

ALSO did: reset of the NVRam

New SSHD formatted to Mac OS Extend (Journal)

Changed the clock to 0329231910--a guessimate on version10.06.3 date

Wife tried a USB bootable version of Snow Leopard but we still ended up with the CAN'T INSTALL

Other attempts I have forgotten....

I am sure the answer is out there somewhere, so please feel free to chime in !!!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 17, 2021 1:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2021 5:01 PM

It seems the OSX DVD you purchased was not made for this specific model laptop which is why it could not be installed.

This laptop shipped with OSX 10.5.7, but can use up to macOS 10.11. You have three options:

1. Create a bootable macOS 10.11 El Capitan USB installer if you have access to another Mac which is capable of running macOS 10.11
  2. Purchase a retail version of the OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD (not the gray DVD)
  3. Install Linux Mint or one of the Ubuntu flavors such as Kubuntu or Ubunu MATE if you are willing to learn a new OS.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2021 5:01 PM in response to nxofkin

It seems the OSX DVD you purchased was not made for this specific model laptop which is why it could not be installed.

This laptop shipped with OSX 10.5.7, but can use up to macOS 10.11. You have three options:

1. Create a bootable macOS 10.11 El Capitan USB installer if you have access to another Mac which is capable of running macOS 10.11
  2. Purchase a retail version of the OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD (not the gray DVD)
  3. Install Linux Mint or one of the Ubuntu flavors such as Kubuntu or Ubunu MATE if you are willing to learn a new OS.

Sep 18, 2021 12:35 PM in response to nxofkin

nxofkin wrote:

So back to the Retail Version- If I am fortunate to find one should I opt for a newer CAT or even the El Capitan? What's you thought?

You can install whatever version of macOS 10.7 to 10.11 that you want, but only macOS 10.11 will give you limited support to access websites using third party Chromium based browsers such as Google Chrome or Vivaldi which still support macOS 10.11. Firefox no longer supports macOS 10.11 and Safari on macOS 10.11 is too outdated to work on most websites.

Sep 17, 2021 1:38 PM in response to nxofkin

nxofkin Said:

"Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer.[...]At first mb start-up, it displayed '? mark folder'. Unknown pervious owner had 'cleaned' the 160gb hd.[...]"

-------

Go here: If your Mac Starts Up to a Question Mark - Apple Support

Mount the Drive:

Boot into Recovery Mode (Hold Down: [Command + R] upon boot). Then, using Disk Utility, see if the Hard Drive, along with the boot disk are seen. If they are, then see if you need to click the “Mount’ button for it. Try rebooting once more. If of no success, then click unmount button, and then the mount button. Try rebooting once more.

Sep 17, 2021 4:12 PM in response to TheLittles

The mb is past the ? folder issue, since we found that the 160gb hd was cleaned of everything. No OS was left and I have NO Original Install disk. Following the Comd + R key it goes from chime, to Apple, with spinning wheel, then to star blue screen with Mac OS X language, to Mac OS X "Preparing Installation" with a horizonal blue /white bar, then it is replaced with the boxed "Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer". The Can't Install box says "If you want to restore your system from a Time Machine back up, click 'Restore from Backup' ". The Can't Install box gives two buttons choices--Restore From Backup or Restart. That is where we are at....

Sep 17, 2021 7:32 PM in response to HWTech

Thanks for that info. So all three options you provided are "probable's" as I will have to ask around about another Mac. The wife has LINUX on her computer. Now regarding the RETAIL VERSION, where can I find legitimate dvds and can they be quickly identified by color as in black?

I ventured to load my mb with SL since the small "Everything Mac" booklet included in the box said snow leopard, though the serialized box only indicated preloaded with Mac OS X and iLife. So back to the Retail Version- If I am fortunate to find one should I opt for a newer CAT or even the El Capitan? What's you thought?

Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.