Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto will no longer work with upgrade

I upgraded my mac from Modavi to BigSur 11.1 and now my iPhoto will not work. When I click on it, there is a bar across it and it says iPhoto isn't supported with that version of macOS and it says to upgrade to Photos. I do not understand what it means.

Posted on Jan 12, 2021 5:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2021 6:23 AM

It means that iPhoto was discontinued over 5 years ago and it no longer works in Catalina or Big Sur. Photos is Apples new image management app.

To start using Photos: Launch Photos with the option key held down. From the resulting dialog, choose your iPhoto library. Photos will create a new library with your iPhoto media. Your iPhoto library will not be changed, though it will be renamed.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2021 6:23 AM in response to Kimmie312

It means that iPhoto was discontinued over 5 years ago and it no longer works in Catalina or Big Sur. Photos is Apples new image management app.

To start using Photos: Launch Photos with the option key held down. From the resulting dialog, choose your iPhoto library. Photos will create a new library with your iPhoto media. Your iPhoto library will not be changed, though it will be renamed.

iPhoto will no longer work with upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.