Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SMART Error on Blade SSD after Replacing Fusion Drive with SSD

My mid-2017 5K iMac with 2 TB Fusion Drive would not upgrade to Big Sur because the system detected a SMART error. I replaced the solid state hard drive with a 2TB SSD and restored from my Time Machine backup - everything seems great.

Then I got the idea to check SMART status of the new drive with a third-party tool (DriveDX) recommended by reputable sites. That tool shows that the old blade SSD from the Fusion Drive has a SMART error.

Question: I don't really care about that blade drive and didn't want to go through all the steps to remove it. (It's much more in depth than replacing the hard drive.) When I go to "About This Mac", it does not show the blade drive and I would be happy to bypass it. As such, do I need to care about the blade drive having a bad SMART status or have I effectively bypassed by the blade drive by replacing the solid state drive with an SSD?

Thanks in advance.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 12, 2021 6:32 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

SMART Error on Blade SSD after Replacing Fusion Drive with SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.