Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my new macbook pro keeps going into sleep mode by itself and won

I just bought a new Macbook Pro for Christmas. In the past few weeks, it will randomly (while I'm working) put on the screensaver. I try to move the cursor and it won't work. Nothing will bring it out (that I know of) except a hard shut off or to switch the user. I am a new Mac owner, so I'm unsure if I'm doing something wrong or have a setting that I need to fix. Help!

MacBook

Posted on Jan 12, 2021 8:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2021 9:07 AM

StevietheTV626 Said:

"my new macbook pro keeps going into sleep mode by itself and won: [...]Nothing will bring it out (that I know of) except a hard shut off or to switch the user.[...]"

-------

Two Thoughts:

A. Use the New User:

If switching the user fixes this, then it is an issue with your current user. So, move everything to the new user, and you would be set from there. Make it an Administrator-type account

B. Try Reinstalling your Mac OS:

By reinstalling the Mac OS, nothing would be lost; it’s just that all corrupt files will be replaced; all files will be placed back to where they should be; removed system files would be reinstalled. Be sure you create a Time Machine backup prior to doing so. That may be the best way to go about this.

You can reinstall it via:

• Internet
  • Time Machine Backup
  • Flash Drive

The Steps to Take:

1. Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support
  2. Reinstall the Mac OS: 10.14 Mojave

IMPORTANT: Backup your Mac First

Prior to performing the above, ne certain you create a backup of your Mac prior to performing this. That way, you will have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the configuration. For the Backup, use an external hard drive of at least 1.5 times the storage, or use iCloud.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2021 9:07 AM in response to StevietheTV626

StevietheTV626 Said:

"my new macbook pro keeps going into sleep mode by itself and won: [...]Nothing will bring it out (that I know of) except a hard shut off or to switch the user.[...]"

-------

Two Thoughts:

A. Use the New User:

If switching the user fixes this, then it is an issue with your current user. So, move everything to the new user, and you would be set from there. Make it an Administrator-type account

B. Try Reinstalling your Mac OS:

By reinstalling the Mac OS, nothing would be lost; it’s just that all corrupt files will be replaced; all files will be placed back to where they should be; removed system files would be reinstalled. Be sure you create a Time Machine backup prior to doing so. That may be the best way to go about this.

You can reinstall it via:

• Internet
  • Time Machine Backup
  • Flash Drive

The Steps to Take:

1. Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support
  2. Reinstall the Mac OS: 10.14 Mojave

IMPORTANT: Backup your Mac First

Prior to performing the above, ne certain you create a backup of your Mac prior to performing this. That way, you will have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the configuration. For the Backup, use an external hard drive of at least 1.5 times the storage, or use iCloud.

my new macbook pro keeps going into sleep mode by itself and won

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.