Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Running an ethernet cable to TV from airport as opposed to cable modem

Hi,

I recently purchased a 4k smart TV, and a friend recommended that I hook it up via a Cat 6 ethernet cable instead of relying on wi-fi due to the amount of data that 4k requires. I was wondering if there would be any difference if I ran the cable from my Airport, instead of my cable modem. Essentially, would running an ethernet cable from the airport slow the speed of devices connecting to the airport wirelessly, or would this not affect the speed at all? I would rather not connect it directly to the cable modem as it would then technically be on a separate network than all of my other devices, but if I would get better performance that way, then I will do that.

Thanks!

Posted on Jan 12, 2021 10:45 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Jan 12, 2021 12:29 PM in response to Pagal

If you run a few tests.......

What is the Internet speed when your computer uis connected directly to the modem?

What is the Internet speed when your computer is connected directly to the AirPort, (which is connected to the modem)?

They should be the same. If not, you'll need to start the troubleshooting process to figure out why they are different.

I would rather not connect it directly to the cable modem as it would then technically be on a separate network than all of my other devices, but if I would get better performance that way, then I will do that.

If your AirPort is set up in Bridge Mode......as it should be if you have a modem/router......then all devices are on the same network. A simple check of IP Addresses will confirm this.

It sounds like what you are calling your "modem" is really a modem/router or gateway device. A simple "modem" has only one Ethernet port. A modem/router or gateway will have multiple Ethernet ports.

Running an ethernet cable to TV from airport as opposed to cable modem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.