Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleCare and AIG service with stolen iPhone

my phone was stolen and now I am without a phone and Apple says AIG will send me a new phone and AIG says the new phone will come from Apple. meanwhile I don't have a phone

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jan 12, 2021 3:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 3:14 PM

Yes that’s where I filed the claim. Really disappointed by AIG/AppleCare. I have been without my phone for a week. None of the employees at AIG and Apple know who is responsible for replacing the device. AIG says that’s once they approve it they send an order to Apple fulfillment and apple is supposed to send it because AIG doesn’t have warehouses of phones they just are the insurance and pay.

108 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2021 3:14 PM in response to babowa

Yes that’s where I filed the claim. Really disappointed by AIG/AppleCare. I have been without my phone for a week. None of the employees at AIG and Apple know who is responsible for replacing the device. AIG says that’s once they approve it they send an order to Apple fulfillment and apple is supposed to send it because AIG doesn’t have warehouses of phones they just are the insurance and pay.

Apr 26, 2021 12:30 PM in response to Community User

Following up on this thread for anyone else in this situation.

1. On 04/20 I filed a claim online at: File an iPhone Theft and Loss Claim - Official Apple Supporthttps://support.apple.com › iPhone. The claim online failed. AIG's website is 'down' so I called into apple care which I recommend. You will need to have had Find my iPhone on - care will tell you to put in Lost mode and then in Erase mode, I suggest just waiting until support walks you through this. Apple then sent me 'AppleCare+ Theft & Claim detail' email with a Repair I.D that AIG does not use. AIG uses a 101###### format. Apple will send claim to AIG.
  2. On 4/21 when I heard nothing, I decided to call AIG. I gave AIG my Serial NO. they were able to locate my claim. They asked for my info on the claim (lost date, what happened) and I provided them with my shipping address and my debit card. Payment ($149) went through as I saw it on my bank online portal. Still no communication via email.
  3. On 4/22 I was able to check my Apple Support Claim status and saw that a replacement product was 'pending'.
  4. This status will stay Pending until they ship the phone - when in stock. Should be within 5 business days.
  5. On 4/23 I checked the portal once again and saw that a Fedex tracking number was provided via APPLE. Apple will ship replacement. AIG just approves claim and sends notification to warehouse to prepare phone.
  6. On 4/26 I received my replacement via FEDEX overnight and everything is all set. Never received any email from AIG nor Apple after the first email from Apple. I suggest being patient and calling AIG 24 HOURS after you submit your claim through apple. Then after you pay deductible I would wait another 24 hours to check with AIG if claim was approved. If so, I would check the apple support claim status portal online to see if there is any updates.
  7. Overall no communication was sent but phone was received.

YMMV: this is how my journey went, yours may be different of course. If you have any questions you can reply to this specific response and I can provide more detail if needed!

Apr 22, 2021 2:49 PM in response to shoeluvr13

After my friend got the run around using Asurion I switched my phone and both my kids to AppleCare. Now that I got the run around for my daughter’s replacement I’m switching back to Asurion. We actually found her phone the day I filed the claim and AIG said there was no way to cancel the claim because it’s in fulfillment. I told them it’s unethical to charge a deductible if the phone hasn’t shipped and I’ll be disputing the claim with my bank after it clears from a pending charge. Of course they can’t tell me when it will ship. Terrible company.

Apr 22, 2021 8:46 PM in response to jayalex23

You will not hear from AIG. Their website is a mess and their communication is nonexistent. I happened to get my phone within 5 business days. However, I see other comments in this forum where they have been waiting for weeks. I called them and Apple constantly. What finally happened was that I got up to a senior advisor at Apple and they themselves called AIG and basically let me know that that phone had not shipped. Like no ****. Basically you don't get a notification until the phone ships, and that too it will come from FedEx, not Apple nor AIG. Sorry you have to go through this - for the money we paid for that **** AppleCare+ this is totally unacceptable. And I can't believe Apple is basically doing nothing about it.

Jan 20, 2021 10:25 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk

my claim was approved on Jan 7 2021 . Today is Jan 20 2021 and I still do not have a phone and caught between AIG and Apple about who is supposed to send the device. It is nothing but frustrating and ridiculous. I filed the claim on Jan 2 2021. That's just about 3 weeks, do you think that is reasonable? What's posted or sent to me via Applecare Is 2 days for the claim and the 2 days for the shipping... nothing but bullsh**

Feb 22, 2021 9:19 AM in response to djdavij

I am in the same situation, Accidently clicked on the support page to proceed with claim, Apple erased the Device put in Lost/Stolen Mode. I immediately reached out to apple support and AIG to cancel the claim on 3rd Feb. And AIG confirmed they have cancelled the claim on 11th and till today 22 Feb i have been not able to get my device working again, as while trying to activate it doesn't activate it saying the device has been reported lost or stolen.

Have repeatedly reached out to Apple support , everytime an advisor gives a different answer some says we have the glitch some says we cannot help only AIG can and shrugg of. While AIG has not given any caseid to follow upon every time i reach them out all i hear we have escalated it please allow 24-48 hours.

This is the worst nightmare apple is making us go through, I have been a loyal customer over a decade and this is not the way apple used to work. Something has changed drastically. It's been the 3rd week where i am locked out of my primary device. I urge to everyone please do not fall victim for applecare+ . It's a bone breaking process in which customer is just left hanging dry while they kept charging the insurance for not usable device.

Mar 3, 2021 4:47 AM in response to djdavij

We've used AppleCare for years, but I've never experienced anything like AIG's "insurance" under AppleCare+.

You remember AIG, of course - the investment giant that was about to go under in 2008, and then the United States Treasury issued bailout funds of - ahem - $185 BILLION DOLLARS - to save the company. (The did pay it back, with interest).

• My iphone was stolen
  • I had purchased Apple's AppleCare+ Theft and Loss insurance
  • I filed a claim with AIG, per Apple's exact instructions at the Apple Store
  • The claim still shows on https://aigtheftandloss.com as being processed (but not approved)
  • This has remained unchanged for days
  • But, thankfully, in case I want to learn more, AIG's Theft and Loss website has a Contact Us page
  • If you use the form to submit on AIG's Contact Us page, there's a standard ReCAPTCHA "I'm not a robot" security check above the SUBMIT button.
  • No matter how many times you complete this option, the web page indicates this option has not been completed. In other words, no way to submit a query. Tried this on three different browsers.
  • The same page shows a button at the bottom, SEND US AN EMAIL.
  • The button is just text, not a link.
  • If you copy the email address shown (support@aig.com) and send an email to that address, you'll receive a reply "Delivery has failed: support@aig.com - The email address you entered couldn't be found."
  • And so it goes.
  • What's the lesson? For me it is to never, ever again purchase Theft and Loss insurance via Apple's AppleCare system - not as long as they are using AIG.
  • In my family, we had 2 phones that had to be replaced (one damaged, one stolen) and ASURION handled both claims promptly and efficiently. Less expensively, too.
  • I would either choose insurance coverage via your carrier (Verizon, AT&T etc) or directly from Asurion - they will insure new Apple iPhone purchases independently (and, incidentally, at a lower cost than Apple's AppleCare+).

And here I sit, still without a phone replacement.

Luckily for me, after a few days of this, I finally figured out - with the help of a Verizon store tech - that I could take an old deactivated iPhone 7 I had in a drawer, swap out the SIM card and connect it to my Apple ID, and at least get my number working again so I could receive calls and texts - absolutely no thanks to AIG.

Apr 23, 2021 3:40 AM in response to livfresh

Thanks, livresh -

That story mirrors my experience as well - you'll find it written out in excruciating detail much earlier in this thread, but it amounts to the same thing - I filed a loss on a Monday and by Thursday I had my replacement iPhone. One really can't complain about that. Had AIG handled the communications part of it intelligently, the whole experience could have been a branding plus for both AIG and Apple, and left me a diehard fan of both for life. Instead, they failed to recognize how completely freaked out those of us who have had iPhones stolen or lost really are.

Losing a smartphone is so beyond losing a phone - it's like 20 years ago having your car keys, your glasses, your wallet, your medications and your telephone taken from you. You're lost at sea. You have no idea how the insurance replacement works, if it's going to work, when it's going to work - and in the meantime, all your contacts, emails, calendars, navigation destinations, and a million other digital ways we use to manage our entire lives - they're all GONE.

What it would be like if, the moment you file a loss claim with AIG, this were to happen:

• Whoever filed the loss gets all your alternative communication means - an alternate email address, text messaging and phone number, where you can be reached while your phone claim is being processed
  • This same party gives you a printed piece of paper with a website page showing that you've been set up with an AIG account, your username and password (or the abiltiity to set one up), claims processing status, a claim number and the name and contact information of a customer service rep who is assigned to your claim
  • Within an hour, an email comes from that AIG loss representative, and tells us they're processing the claim, and reiterates the above
  • The email provides a link to the AIG processing status page
  • Logging on to that page provides status updates and a progress bar with milestones (just like a UPS or FedEx delivery tracking status web page does)
  • The web page provides requests for any additional information needed, and an email along the same lines goes out
  • The web page provides links to contact customer service reps directly, via text, phone or email (right now the link on AIG isn't a link - it's a dead button!!@>!)
  • When the claim is finally processed, you're notified that its' going to shipping and given a shipping tracking number

Whey should AIG or Apple go to all this expense?

For one simple reason - the experience as it's managed right now was so negative, worrisome, frustrating, annoying - even enraging - that not again IN THIS LIFETIME will I purchase any AppleCare product if it involves a loss claim through AIG. I will switch over to a private third-party like Asurion. They're frustrating too, but at least in their case, they've figured out that they're dealing with human beings on the other side.

Sep 1, 2021 2:37 AM in response to djdavij

• They are awful!

I submitted a claim on the 28th, then found the phone and could not call Apple to cancel the claim, AIG would not cancel the claim. It locked me out of all my iCloud accounts, ended up having to use a second phone, pop the sim card and get the text verification, then logged into my email (iCloud) to view the claim, then tried to cancel on their website. No avail. Spoke with AIG rep, total rude lady btw, on 8/31 - and now it is 9/1 and the status of the claim has not changed, there are still emails requesting I pay the 150 for the claim, and the phone is still stuck on Lost Mode- but the phone has not been found!

This is awful. Terrible situation and AIG is just not dealing with this claim process well.

Honestly, I wish I would go back to my carriers insurance. This Apple Care Loss and Theft option is a terrible experience.

Jan 20, 2021 10:05 AM in response to Jrbeach

It's ridiculous and nothing but the run around. Tim Cook is the CEO and I wrote him twice about this very issue but he didn't respond. That kind of gave me a little perspective : He doesn't care about his customers and the rest follow his lead. I still don't have an iphone and wondering if I'm ever going to get one from them. One thing is for certain I won't buy another one EVER!

Jan 20, 2021 11:03 AM in response to djdavij

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter if we think it's reasonable or not. We are not Apple support and we do not work for Apple.

You need to think of this in a slightly different way though: I'd bet yours is not the only claim. Just because it was approved does not mean the paperwork has been processed. These are huge companies with - currently - not all staff present and/or some working from home. Processing anything takes time. Then the insurance tells Apple to ship; then Apple needs to find a replacement which again is difficult due to the pandemic mfg. shortages/shipping delays.

Nothing works at the moment the way it used to be. That is the new "normal".

Feb 15, 2021 11:10 AM in response to djdavij

AIG is absolutely the worst company to deal with. We paid the insurance, the person that filed the claim mistakenly filed it as theft/loss (it was damaged) and it had to be cancelled, yet paid $149. Cancelling the claim online doesn't work. Each time we call the AIG employee they tell us they will inform the manager and it should be taken care of. Round and round we go. NOW over a week later, they keep telling us "wait 24-48 hours." A horribly incompetent company or a scam?

Feb 19, 2021 4:19 PM in response to djdavij

Same thing happed to me. I've been without my phone for 2 weeks already and they already took out my money from my account and they still haven't send me my phone. for some reason they have my PO BOX mailing address as my shipping and they don't deliver to PO BOx . I already spoke with them last week about my shipping address and they keep having issues. I call everyday 2 times a day and they tell me the same thing every single time. i told them i want to cancel my claim and i want my 150 dollars back but as soon as it is approved they cant cancel the claim. So they have my phone and my money.. :(

AppleCare and AIG service with stolen iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.