Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to install OS X on a 2011 macbook pro, with new/unused drive.

I need some help.

I have 2011 macbook pro a1278, and the hard drive crashed.

I replaced the hard drive and replaced it with Crucial MX500 250GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD.

I have the Mac OS X Lion cd (that I cannot get out of the drive, lol), but anyway, I booted up the laptop in internet recovery mode.

I then try to reinstall MAC OS X as that is one of the options.

After I go through a few screens and agree to the terms of software license, etc.. it then says "This disk cannot be used to startup your computer."

Then I go back to 'Disk Utility'

I try to restore from that point, but I am confused about the options (source and destination).

I tried a few different option and can't get it to work.....

I am not the most computer literate person in the world, so any simple instructions would be helpful.

I also have my present laptop that works, so if I need to download software to a thumbdrive, I can try that, but would need some instructions on that too.

Any help is appreciated.

Posted on Jan 12, 2021 4:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2021 9:48 AM

You may have only the second CD (add-on software) of the two-CD set in your drive. It may not be bootable. You need disc one.

You can probably use Shift-Option-Command-R or Option-Command-R to invoke Recovery AND

...to get the last-installed version of MacOS (or possibly the original version in some cases) to download and install.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2021 9:48 AM in response to ilzho

You may have only the second CD (add-on software) of the two-CD set in your drive. It may not be bootable. You need disc one.

You can probably use Shift-Option-Command-R or Option-Command-R to invoke Recovery AND

...to get the last-installed version of MacOS (or possibly the original version in some cases) to download and install.

Jan 12, 2021 5:02 PM in response to ilzho

what you need to do is select the new drive, by its immutable hardware-name "250 GB CT250MX50..." and choose ERASE. If it refuses, ask it again immediately.

The reason you may have to ask twice is that it does not want to ERASE a drive that is not already empty, and it appears the maker sent you some Utilities in a 250 GB partition named 'Applications Install Disk' with about 3.49GB worth of "stuff". Or maybe you dragged and dropped it there.

But to use the whole disk, you will need to ERASE it.

Once it is Erased, you will see it as a destination for Installing on.

Jan 13, 2021 7:24 AM in response to leroydouglas

So I erased the drive as mentioned and then I went back to Reinstall OS X and it recognized the drive this time and wanted to me sign in and enter my apple ID and password so it can download OS X from the app store.

I did that and it states that the 'item is temporarily unavailable.'

Is there a work around to this?

Thanks as always.

How to install OS X on a 2011 macbook pro, with new/unused drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.