You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

screen coating removed

Hello,

I have had a the same screen protector on my laptop for about 6/7 years. Today i removed it and it seems to have taken some of the coating off the screen. I am not sure what this is, but you can see it quite clearly and the affected areas feel rougher than normal. Is there anyway I can fix this without replacing the screen? And if i put another screen protector on it, will it get worse?

Thank you,

Danielle

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 13, 2021 8:00 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2021 8:15 AM

I have had a the same screen protector on my laptop for about 6/7 years. Today i removed it and it seems to have taken some of the coating off the screen.

That is why they are not recommended

I am not sure what this is,

The adhesive one the screen protector reacted with the factory anti-glare coating. a very bad thing.

...but you can see it quite clearly and the affected areas feel rougher than normal.

Not surprising. Makers of screen protectors seen to show little regard for computer makers' cautions.

Is there anyway I can fix this without replacing the screen?

Nothing that would restore it to like new. And if this is a Retina MBP, you cannot simple replace the glass. Everything up there is one sealed unit that Apple will gladly replace for a mere US$500 to $650. You cannot simply replace part of it.

And if i put another screen protector on it, will it get worse?

Don't know. I don't use them. I suspect that will not make the patterning of the damage go away.

You should contact the maker of the screen protector. They sold you something that, instead of protecting your computer, damaged it.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 13, 2021 8:15 AM in response to screen_protector_removal_probs

I have had a the same screen protector on my laptop for about 6/7 years. Today i removed it and it seems to have taken some of the coating off the screen.

That is why they are not recommended

I am not sure what this is,

The adhesive one the screen protector reacted with the factory anti-glare coating. a very bad thing.

...but you can see it quite clearly and the affected areas feel rougher than normal.

Not surprising. Makers of screen protectors seen to show little regard for computer makers' cautions.

Is there anyway I can fix this without replacing the screen?

Nothing that would restore it to like new. And if this is a Retina MBP, you cannot simple replace the glass. Everything up there is one sealed unit that Apple will gladly replace for a mere US$500 to $650. You cannot simply replace part of it.

And if i put another screen protector on it, will it get worse?

Don't know. I don't use them. I suspect that will not make the patterning of the damage go away.

You should contact the maker of the screen protector. They sold you something that, instead of protecting your computer, damaged it.

screen coating removed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.