Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to edit a video held in photos . e.g. to skip frames to play at double speed.

I have video I took on my camera that is imported to photos, I want to speed it up ( skipping frames) to share on the web... the edit in iPhotos doesn't have any video related functions like this.. so I thourght I could do in iMovie... so I try "edit with Other.. and select iMovie" but I get

The application “iMovie” cannot open the specified document or URL.

I get a similar error with a 3rd party video editor..

I also tried browsing to photos after opening iMovie.. but this just imports stills not the video clip .

Why is this so hard ? It seems like this should be a trivial type of action for working with movie clips.

Posted on Jan 13, 2021 9:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2021 9:59 AM

Create a new iMovie project and import your Photos app video into it by clicking on the photos item in the iMovie media sidebar. Then from the timeline, click on the speed button (the one that looks like a clock) in the toolbar at the upper right of your screen. You can adjust the speed of the project or a selected clip from the controls that appear. If the clips contains audio, you can preserved the pitch by clicking on the Preserve Pitch item above the viewer screen.

An even easier way is to Control-click on a clip in the timeline to reveal a pop up menu. From the menu, click on Show Speed Editor. That will cause a speed adjustment handle to appear in the upper right hand corner of the clip. Slide the handle to the left to shorten the clip and increase its speed. Slide the handle to the right to lengthen the clip and slow down the speed.

Here's a link to an online help menu that explains how to adjust speed:

https://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/#/mov6c442b2eb

-- Rich

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2021 9:59 AM in response to robcoles

Create a new iMovie project and import your Photos app video into it by clicking on the photos item in the iMovie media sidebar. Then from the timeline, click on the speed button (the one that looks like a clock) in the toolbar at the upper right of your screen. You can adjust the speed of the project or a selected clip from the controls that appear. If the clips contains audio, you can preserved the pitch by clicking on the Preserve Pitch item above the viewer screen.

An even easier way is to Control-click on a clip in the timeline to reveal a pop up menu. From the menu, click on Show Speed Editor. That will cause a speed adjustment handle to appear in the upper right hand corner of the clip. Slide the handle to the left to shorten the clip and increase its speed. Slide the handle to the right to lengthen the clip and slow down the speed.

Here's a link to an online help menu that explains how to adjust speed:

https://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/#/mov6c442b2eb

-- Rich

How to edit a video held in photos . e.g. to skip frames to play at double speed.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.