Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple photos extremely slow when run from external hard drive on M1 Macs

I have always run my Photos from external HDD. While my library is 2TB big, its still usable when I was running it on 2015 MacBook Pro 13. However after I upgraded to M1 MacBook Air 2020 (8GB), its runs like a slog. My softwares are all up to date and to verify if its my hard drive problem I did a speed test using Blackmagic. Sometimes the drive returns normal speed 130ish MB/s however at times it returns 30MB/s.

Anyone having similar issues? Any idea what is the root cause?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

MacBook Air

Posted on Jan 14, 2021 2:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 8:12 PM

I did a further test and found out that apparently the HDD speed runs at normal 140MB/s if I do not run Apple Photos library stored in the HDD. If I open the Photos library and leave it idle, I get 30MB/s speed read. That implies slow read speed isn't caused by hardware but by Photos app.

Any idea?

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2021 8:12 PM in response to ChrisCyL

I did a further test and found out that apparently the HDD speed runs at normal 140MB/s if I do not run Apple Photos library stored in the HDD. If I open the Photos library and leave it idle, I get 30MB/s speed read. That implies slow read speed isn't caused by hardware but by Photos app.

Any idea?

Feb 19, 2021 11:51 AM in response to ChrisCyL

I have the same exact problem on M1 Mac mini. HDD speed is 140-150MB/s and goes down to 30-50MB/ after launching Photos. Apple support blamed on HDD but no change after moving the library to other drive. I tried APFS but no change. Reinstalled Big Sur did not help either. I am tempted to buy Thunderbolt connected SSD but I did not recall having this issue with my previous iMac with Big Sur.

Jan 15, 2021 3:10 AM in response to ChrisCyL

2TB ... my Photos library is 500 GB (50 000 images + several hundred movies) and I thought it is quite large...

Anyway, 130 MB/s is OK for a HDD but have you considered a SSD? I get over 500 MB/s from an external USB 3.1 Samsung 860 EVO SATA (TLC -- I'd avoid bigger QLC/PLC SSDs because AFAIK they are slow to write large files and might not be so reliable).

Maybe you get only 30 MB/s at some slower and/or fragmented HDD sectors? Is it still Mac OS Extended (APFS is slow on HDDs)?

Mar 9, 2021 2:18 AM in response to ChrisCyL

Even with an NVME SSD over USB3.1, I/O speeds on M1 are slower than Intel machines. On Intel, you get up to 900mbs I/O, on an M1 it's around 10-20% slower. I have tried different enclosures, USB-C Hubs and even a brand new USB4-Hub. With any Hub, the speed goes down to around 300mbs.

I'm really disappointed with Apple. The M1 has been amazing so far. But how could they mess up USB?

Apple photos extremely slow when run from external hard drive on M1 Macs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.