Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air M1 - Forgotten Password

I've put a password to my mac without logging into Apple id , Now I forgot the password. What to do now

Posted on Jan 14, 2021 4:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2021 8:55 AM

Hi srikanth9,

Try these steps to reset your user account password:

1. Shut down your MacBook Air (M1, 2020).
  2. Press and hold the power button (Touch ID) until the screen says "Loading startup options".
  3. Choose Options, then click Continue.
  4. If you're prompted for an admin password, choose "Forgot all passwords?". If you're prompted to authenticate with your Apple ID, do so to continue.
  5. You should now see a window with four options: Restore from Time Machine, Install macOS, Safari, Disk Utility. Don't choose any of these; instead, go to the menu bar at the top of the screen and click on Utilities. Then, choose Terminal.
  6. Type "resetpassword" without the quotes and hit Enter (Return).
  7. If FileVault is disabled, you should be able to reset your password without issue.

If FileVault is enabled, you will see the below screen instead:

If you see that screen, choose "I forgot my password". You may be able to reset it using your Apple ID.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2021 8:55 AM in response to srikanth9

Hi srikanth9,

Try these steps to reset your user account password:

1. Shut down your MacBook Air (M1, 2020).
  2. Press and hold the power button (Touch ID) until the screen says "Loading startup options".
  3. Choose Options, then click Continue.
  4. If you're prompted for an admin password, choose "Forgot all passwords?". If you're prompted to authenticate with your Apple ID, do so to continue.
  5. You should now see a window with four options: Restore from Time Machine, Install macOS, Safari, Disk Utility. Don't choose any of these; instead, go to the menu bar at the top of the screen and click on Utilities. Then, choose Terminal.
  6. Type "resetpassword" without the quotes and hit Enter (Return).
  7. If FileVault is disabled, you should be able to reset your password without issue.

If FileVault is enabled, you will see the below screen instead:

If you see that screen, choose "I forgot my password". You may be able to reset it using your Apple ID.

Macbook Air M1 - Forgotten Password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.