Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Series 6 (GPS version only)

1)When I am home and the Apple Watch is connected to wifi I can receive messages and phone calls?

2)If I am gone for a hike and I bring both my watch and iPhone with me. If I get a call or texts will it appear on the watch as well? Or just my phone. (Can the Apple Watch GPS version when not connect to wifi run off the cellular of my iPhone.

Apple Watch

Posted on Jan 14, 2021 9:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 3:54 PM

rheanne209 wrote:

1)When I am home and the Apple Watch is connected to wifi I can receive messages and phone calls?

Messages (as in Apple's iMessages) Yes

As well as any other internet based messaging service that supports the Apple Watch.

SMS/MMS requires the iPhone, so it must be accessible via your home WiFi, or Bluetooth.

As for Phone calls, if your cellular provider supports WiFi calling, And you have enabled WiFi calling on your iPhone, And you have enabled WiFi calling on your Apple Watch, then, Yes, you can make and receive phone calls on your Apple Watch if it is just connected via WiFi.

If your iPhone is in Bluetooth range, then the Apple Watch will use Bluetooth to the iPhone for all of the above.

)If I am gone for a hike and I bring both my watch and iPhone with me. If I get a call or texts will it appear on the watch as well? Or just my phone. (Can the Apple Watch GPS version when not connect to wifi run off the cellular of my iPhone.

Yes.

I have a GPS only Apple Watch. I was riding my bike, iPhone in my pocket, and I got a call from my doctor's office about setting up an appointment. I was able to hold a conversation via my Apple Watch traveling about 9 miles/hour on the rail trail.

And when my Wife upgraded to a Cellular Apple Watch, we were walking about a mile from home on the rail trail, and I was texting, calling (I called her, she called me), Walkie-Talkie between our Apple Watches. Me via my iPhone in my pocket, and her via her new Cellular Apple Watch (she intentionally left her iPhone in the kitchen).

The GPS only Apple Watch can do Everything the Cellular model can do AS LONG AS your iPhone is nearby, where nearby is generally somewhere in the same moderately sized home, or in your case, in your pocket. The Cellular model allows you to leave your iPhone at home while you go for a walk, run, bike ride (which is what my Wife does these days).

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2021 3:54 PM in response to rheanne209

rheanne209 wrote:

Messages (as in Apple's iMessages) Yes

As well as any other internet based messaging service that supports the Apple Watch.

SMS/MMS requires the iPhone, so it must be accessible via your home WiFi, or Bluetooth.

As for Phone calls, if your cellular provider supports WiFi calling, And you have enabled WiFi calling on your iPhone, And you have enabled WiFi calling on your Apple Watch, then, Yes, you can make and receive phone calls on your Apple Watch if it is just connected via WiFi.

If your iPhone is in Bluetooth range, then the Apple Watch will use Bluetooth to the iPhone for all of the above.

)If I am gone for a hike and I bring both my watch and iPhone with me. If I get a call or texts will it appear on the watch as well? Or just my phone. (Can the Apple Watch GPS version when not connect to wifi run off the cellular of my iPhone.

Yes.

I have a GPS only Apple Watch. I was riding my bike, iPhone in my pocket, and I got a call from my doctor's office about setting up an appointment. I was able to hold a conversation via my Apple Watch traveling about 9 miles/hour on the rail trail.

And when my Wife upgraded to a Cellular Apple Watch, we were walking about a mile from home on the rail trail, and I was texting, calling (I called her, she called me), Walkie-Talkie between our Apple Watches. Me via my iPhone in my pocket, and her via her new Cellular Apple Watch (she intentionally left her iPhone in the kitchen).

The GPS only Apple Watch can do Everything the Cellular model can do AS LONG AS your iPhone is nearby, where nearby is generally somewhere in the same moderately sized home, or in your case, in your pocket. The Cellular model allows you to leave your iPhone at home while you go for a walk, run, bike ride (which is what my Wife does these days).

Apple Watch Series 6 (GPS version only)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.