Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gray lock on default Document, Download, and Desktop folders

So i recently deleted some files on my macbook and i accidentally deleted the default document, download and desktop folders permanently and now when i search for the folders on through "About This Mac" they only appear as sort of pdf file with a gray lock at the bottom left corner of the file. Does anybody know how to get back those folders or replace them?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 14, 2021 9:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2021 12:33 PM

Hi apps49,

Try doing the following to recreate the missing folders:

1. Log into your user account.
  2. Open a new Finder window.
  3. Go to the menu bar at the top of the screen, then choose Go -> Home.
  4. Right-click (or control-click) on the background of the Finder window, then choose New Folder.
  5. Name the new folder "Documents" without the quotes. macOS should understand what you're trying to do, and should automatically apply the documents icon to the new folder.
  6. Repeat steps 4-5 for the Desktop and Downloads folder.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2021 12:33 PM in response to apps49

Hi apps49,

Try doing the following to recreate the missing folders:

1. Log into your user account.
  2. Open a new Finder window.
  3. Go to the menu bar at the top of the screen, then choose Go -> Home.
  4. Right-click (or control-click) on the background of the Finder window, then choose New Folder.
  5. Name the new folder "Documents" without the quotes. macOS should understand what you're trying to do, and should automatically apply the documents icon to the new folder.
  6. Repeat steps 4-5 for the Desktop and Downloads folder.

Gray lock on default Document, Download, and Desktop folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.