Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Documents, Downloads and Desktop folders are suddenly gone

I'm on a MacBook Pro 14, it's about 6 months old. A few days ago my Desktop, Downloads and Documents folders all disappeared. When I navigate to my username folder in the HD tab, this is what I see:

Those are aliases where the master folder should be. I have spent quite a bit of time on the phone with apple customer service but they had no answers for me. Has anyone else had this issue?

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Aug 2, 2022 5:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2022 2:14 PM

By “backed up in dropbox,” does that mean you’ve set dropbox to sync those folders (or whatever term they use)?

It may be that dropbox has caused the problem you see. Check with them to see if it is a known problem.

5 replies

Aug 3, 2022 10:38 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

I think I was able to locate most of my files. Thank you for your feedback. The real issue is that I no longer have a document/download/desktop folder. It is not possible to download anything, drag to desktop or save a file, my laptop is basically only functioning off of the cloud now. I have tried to create new Smart Folders but the system prohibits it. I'm stuck.

Documents, Downloads and Desktop folders are suddenly gone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.