Files and folders have disappeared from desktop.

I had six or seven folders, and two or three files, on my desktop. Mail was not responding, and I did a force quit, and then a relaunch; when I restarted my computer everything had disappeared from the desktop except the Macintosh HD and an External drive.

I have an iMac, Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019, and am running macOS Ventura Version 13.4.1. the Macintosh HD has 552.39 GB available of 1.03 TB.

Any thoughts re what happened to the files and folders that were on the desktop? Did I switch a toggle someplace that made them disappear?

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Jul 10, 2023 11:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2023 4:17 AM

One thing I can think of that I don't think is connected to your mail: could it be that you turned on stage manager by any chance. because it does make the folders disapear and re-apear once you place the cursor on the desktop and press. but I find it hard to believe that this is your probelm.

Good Luck!

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2023 4:17 AM in response to bob277

One thing I can think of that I don't think is connected to your mail: could it be that you turned on stage manager by any chance. because it does make the folders disapear and re-apear once you place the cursor on the desktop and press. but I find it hard to believe that this is your probelm.

Good Luck!

Jul 11, 2023 3:53 PM in response to Randall_2023

Thanks – you led me to what I'd done – somehow I'd toggled off the "Desktop & Documents Folders" switch in the "iCloud Drive" pop-up window, so I was no longer keeping my Desktop & Documents Folders in sync with iCloud. Toggled back on, and situation solved.

Thanks to both of you, sagimoses and Randall; learned somethingS new today! … õ¿õ

Files and folders have disappeared from desktop.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.