Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 27 inch (2020) 16Amp power cord

Hello,

I purchased a 27 inch iMac recently and was quite annoyed when I saw that they gave me a 16A power cord. No one seems to have a clear response to my query regarding the power cord.

I currently do not have access to a 16Amp power outlet. These exist only in the kitchen and in the bathrooms to run heavy duty appliances like refrigerators and geysers etc.

The electrician told me that I can draw a 16A power line from the kitchen and install a 16A power socket.

Apple executives tell me that I can just use a 16A to 6A converter (which I am currently doing), but I'm not sure if this is the safest way. I don't understand why they've issued a 16A cord. Is it because the computer draws a lot more power?

So do I get a 16A socket installed? Or would I be ok with just using a 16A-6A converter?

Can someone please tell me the right way of going about this?

Any help or info will be appreciated :)

Thanks.

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 5:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 10:49 AM

You don't need any special power outlet or converter. The iMac uses less than 300 watts, which is less than 3 amps at 110 volts.

iMac power consumption and thermal output - Apple Support

The 16 amp rating on the power cord just means the cord can handle 16 amps, not that the computer uses that much current.

That type of power cord is used for many devices, so making them all 16 amp rated means they can be used for any device, since the plug will fit on;y outlets with 15 amps maximum.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2021 10:49 AM in response to Nikhil_Narendra

You don't need any special power outlet or converter. The iMac uses less than 300 watts, which is less than 3 amps at 110 volts.

iMac power consumption and thermal output - Apple Support

The 16 amp rating on the power cord just means the cord can handle 16 amps, not that the computer uses that much current.

That type of power cord is used for many devices, so making them all 16 amp rated means they can be used for any device, since the plug will fit on;y outlets with 15 amps maximum.

iMac 27 inch (2020) 16Amp power cord

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.