Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A new disk drive (named "update") appeared after erasing my disk and reinstalling Big Sur

Hello, I'm a new iMac user here. Literally. I am just able to afford an iMac system now and this is my first iMac ever after 3 years of saving. Which explains my newbie question. I hope you can help me. Anyway, here are my questions:

1. Can someone tell me what the new disk drive is for? (see picture)
  2. Can someone help me understand what the contents of this drive are? (see picture)
  3. Is it save to eject this drive?
  4. Is it safe to delete the contents of this drive?
  5. If yes, how to safely delete the files?

A little history:

My iMac originally came with Catalina. So when Big Sur happened, I happily updated. However, to my surprise, the performance became VERY SLOW. The boot time is now at about 2 minutes and 30 seconds before I can fully use the Mac. The "hammer that drove the nail" was when I was having a zoom meeting with valued clients, and we were editing our documents and my Mac froze.

So I decided to reinstall the MacOs.

I did the "erase disk" procedure first, before reinstalling Big Sur. HOWEVER, the internet connection suddenly dropped and the installation failed.

So I performed an "erase disk" again and reinstalled the OS.

But the interface was sluggish so I decided to restart the Computer first and launch Recovery Mode again. To my surprise (I'm easily surprised), a rotating globe icon appeared and performed an internet recovery procedure. Cutting the long story short, I was able to install Mojave. When the installation finished, a new disk image appeared. It was named "update". When I updated to Big Sur, the disk drive was still there. I'm not so sure why it's there as it was never there before.

I appreciate any information on this. Thank you in advance! :)

iMac 27″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 6:52 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Jan 17, 2021 1:30 PM in response to Macnewbie_TalisayCebu

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, Macnewbie_TalisayCebu!

We understand you've noticed a mounted partition named "Update" and want to know if it's safe to eject it. We'd be happy to provide information to help you with this.

Do you happen to have any pending updates in the App Store? Try installing anything pending.

You can also try reinstalling macOS without erasing the disk completely: How to reinstall macOS

This may get anything pending to install.

However if the partition remains, it's possible it was created while you erased the disk previously.

Let us know the results.

Have a great day!

Jan 17, 2021 5:30 PM in response to Macnewbie_TalisayCebu

The "Update" volume is new with macOS 11.1 Big Sur and is used for providing macOS updates. Unfortunately it shows up by default if you have Finder configured to show drives & volumes. Just ignore it and do not save or delete anything from the "Update" volume. If you are now on Catalina, then in theory you should be able to delete the "Update" volume. Better yet when you performed your clean install you should have erase the whole physical drive instead of just the "Macintosh HD" volume.

A new disk drive (named "update") appeared after erasing my disk and reinstalling Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.