Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to recover files existed prior to formatting and reinstalling OSX on an internal hard drive?

Hi

I recently formatted the internal hard drive och my MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch, Early 2015 (Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500 GB) and reinstalled a fresh copy of macOSX Monterey 12.3.1. The MacBook had the same OSX before formatting.

Now I need to recover some very important files which existed prior to formatting on the internal hard drive.

When I use an external drive as the startup disk and run utilities such as Disk Drill, they can only find files after reinstalling of the OSX.

Should I remove the internal SSD, put it in an external box and run the same utilities from a different Mac? Does it help?

Or there is a more appropriate recovering application or method which I can apply without needing to remove the internal drive?

Thank you in advance! 

/Abedi

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 16, 2022 7:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2022 7:19 AM

If you formatted the drive, all data that was on the drive is gone. Surely you created a data backup before formatting the drive. If not, your data is gone.

Similar questions

1 reply

How to recover files existed prior to formatting and reinstalling OSX on an internal hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.