Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine - Dates older than 2018 error

Hello,

I have problem with Time Machines dates older than 2018.

My time line has dates from now (2021) to 2016.

And everything work perfect for me only to 2018 year (include 01.01.2018).

But any older dates (include 31.12.2017) don't work.

They are there on the time line but clicking on them just does nothing.

As I know Time Machine automaticaly removes older dates if there is lack of space on Time Machine drive.

I think it's not my case, but I am not sure. So it's possible.

But the main question is:

Does Time Machine automaticly remove data for older dates, but the dates itself are still on the time line? But it makes no sense. For what I can see those dates while I can't use them anymore?

On the other hand maybe I just do something wrong. But what?

About two weeks ago I changed my Macbook Pro (early 2013) to new M1 Apple Silicon with built in OS Big Sure.

Maybe it has something to do with my problem?

By Time MachineI I recovered my old Mac to my new one M1. It seemed everything was perfectly fine until now while I need to find something form 2016, but suddenly I found out I can't.

Of course I got all Big Sure updates.

For any help great thanks in advance.

Best Regards

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 8:18 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Jan 15, 2021 8:33 AM in response to pajczukin

First question is how large the Time Machine drive is and how much

is being shown as used?

And yes, it will remove oder backups if running low on space but will also

not use all available space as it needs some amount of "workspace" on

the drive as well.

As an aside, Time Machine really not meant to be used as a "file archive"

but rather a file/system recovery. Important files should be kept in their

own separate backup/archive drive as Time Machine will remove things as needed.

Jan 15, 2021 9:12 AM in response to woodmeister50

Hello,

great thanks for your answer.

My Macbook (old and new one) is 250 GB. But of course it's never totally full. Normally it is filled by about 180 GB.

The Time Machine Drive is 2,5 TB. And now it shows about 1,5 TB is used.

But I still claim it's something wrong with my system or my Time Machine, because I can see those dates, but clicking on them does nothing.

As an aside. Maybe Time Machine is more recovery system than "file archive", but then why it is called "Time Machine" ? :)

And for what it keeps so many dates, while I think simply last date would be enaugh for system recovery. But of course it's only my opinion.

Jan 16, 2021 5:27 PM in response to pajczukin

Hello tbirdvet!!!

Great thanks for your help. Now it works with shift-command-c and it looks like I know why I had those problems.

It looks like before 2018 there is some different files structure on time machine disk.

Maybe it's because I change the Macbook name. But it is still strange why after 2017 the structure of file is different than before. I changed that name in 2020. And to 2018 everything is fine, but before 2018 works only with shift-command-c and the file structure is different.

Time Machine - Dates older than 2018 error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.