Time Machine options are greyed out

I keep regular time machine back ups and I accidentally deleted a bunch of files I need, so I opened the Time Machine to try to ”go back in time“ BUT ALL THE OPTIONS ARE GRAYED OUT!

So I come to the forum and look through all these messages and everybody saying “Duh, you need to hold command plus R and restore from time machine that way“ OK, if that’s the case, why doesn’t it tell me that when I launch Time Machine? What’s the point of even being able to launch Time Machine while logged in?!?!?

So anyway, I do all that and go through the process of selecting the date I want to restore from, only for my Mac to tell me “You must use migration assistant to transfer data from this backup“. OH REALLY NOW? OK now I’m getting annoyed…

FIRST OF ALL: I’m not trying to “transfer data from this back up“ I’m trying to GO BACK IN TIME. In other words, I want to undo the last day of changes that I made. Which is what I THOUGHT Time Machine did (at least that’s what they advertise it to do.)

I’m not interested in dragging and dropping individual files, I want to restore it to a previous state in the past. Am I in the wrong place? How in the world do I do this?

Posted on Jun 8, 2023 3:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2023 2:21 PM

The most recommended procedure is post-disaster, where you want to restore everything and no additional backups have occurred since your disaster.

This article says you can select a specific date once inside Migration Assistant:

Recover all your files from a Time Machine backup - Apple Support

-OR- you can select individual files and folders as of a given dat&time, but you must be patient while Time machine reconstructs the version from its database.

Time machine, app, (not to be confused with Time machine system preferences) can restore any file, and folder you select from any backup still held on your backup drive.

Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2023 2:21 PM in response to rick268

The most recommended procedure is post-disaster, where you want to restore everything and no additional backups have occurred since your disaster.

This article says you can select a specific date once inside Migration Assistant:

-OR- you can select individual files and folders as of a given dat&time, but you must be patient while Time machine reconstructs the version from its database.

Time machine, app, (not to be confused with Time machine system preferences) can restore any file, and folder you select from any backup still held on your backup drive.

Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support

Jun 9, 2023 2:21 PM in response to rick268

Hi rick268,

Time Machine has changed in macOS Big Sur (11.0.1) and later. The OS is no longer backed up, but all of your settings, apps, files, and other data still is. This is why Migration Assistant is required to fully restore modern Time Machine backups, as mentioned by Grant.

To do a full restore, which cannot be undone, erase your Mac and reinstall macOS. Once that's done, choose to restore from your backup when prompted.

Use Disk Utility to erase a Mac with Apple silicon - Apple Support (CA)

Use Disk Utility to erase an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support (CA)

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support (CA)

Jun 29, 2023 12:53 PM in response to Encryptor5000

Maybe you can re explain that again? I also have the same problem and went to reinstall an earlier version of Monterey (only a week ago) via Time Machine and the Recovery mode, only to discover that 'the greyed out option in time machine'. I then saw it said I have to use migration assistant, but from what it explains, it only restores the files (ex: documents), but not the operating system.

Maybe you can clarify this for me, and explain how I can move back in time to an earlier version on Monterey - I'm on 12.6.7, but need to move back to 12.6.5. which was May 2023.

Thanks in advance.

Time Machine options are greyed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.