Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine backup and restore to new computer

If I backup my MacBook Pro, running Big Sur OS, can I restore that backup to my new MacBook Pro that's running Catalina OS or does the new MacBook Pro need to have the same OS as the Time Machine backup?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 11:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2021 1:11 PM

Hi wolf56,

As a rule of thumb (for Migration Assistant), you cannot restore a newer backup to a Mac that's running an older version of macOS.

For Time Machine backups made in macOS Big Sur, Time Machine no longer backs up the operating system itself (only your data). Your best route would be to upgrade your new MacBook Pro to macOS Big Sur.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2021 1:11 PM in response to wolf56

Hi wolf56,

As a rule of thumb (for Migration Assistant), you cannot restore a newer backup to a Mac that's running an older version of macOS.

For Time Machine backups made in macOS Big Sur, Time Machine no longer backs up the operating system itself (only your data). Your best route would be to upgrade your new MacBook Pro to macOS Big Sur.

Jan 17, 2021 12:33 PM in response to wolf56

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, wolf56.

If we understand your post correctly, your MacBook Pro is running macOS Big Sur and you'd like to restore the backup from that MacBook Pro to another which is running macOS Catalina. We’d like to help.

Your new MacBook Pro will need to be running the same OS as your Time Machine backup. This guide will show you how to upgrade:

How to upgrade to macOS Big Sur

Let us know if that resolves this issue for you. 

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Take care.

Time Machine backup and restore to new computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.