Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring Time Machine backup with old macOS onto a new machine with newer OS?

The new iMacs can only run macOS Big Sur and later, isn't that correct?

That said, is it possible to restore a Time Machine backup created from a Mac running an older version (say, Catalina) onto such a new iMac?

I mean, obviously I'm not trying to get Catalina to run on the new machine, I was just wondering if it's still possible to use Time Machine to get my data off the old backup, given that the OSes don't match.

Posted on Jul 5, 2021 12:09 PM

2 replies

Jul 5, 2021 1:52 PM in response to Babaganoosh

Strongly suggest only migrate the User Account and nothing else. Although Catalina uses 64 bit Applications and extensions - Big Sur on the M1 Chip is different. Just because an application worked on Catalina does not automatically translate to working on Big Sur and especially on the M1 Apple silicon CPU. Further, software issues that may have been in the Catalina installation if migrated to Big Sur will muck the virgin installation on the Brand New M1. IMHO

Restoring Time Machine backup with old macOS onto a new machine with newer OS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.