Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use Time Machine to backup to an older Mac not running the current OS?

So, I can use another Mac as a backup disk with Time Machine. Can I use an older Mac that is not running the same version of the Mac OS as my new MB Air?

For example, I have a pretty functional MacBook Pro 2011 (late year) that cannot be upgraded to the most recent OS. I would like to use part of the hard drive as a backup disk for my newer machine.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 9, 2020 5:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2020 5:51 PM

Yes, provided the Time Machine backup disk still has sufficient space remaining. Time Machine will keep those backups separate from one another and won't confuse the two.

It's normal for a TM backup disk to become almost completely full. Once that happens it begins to delete old and "expired" backups to make room for newer ones. That means if you have been using it for a long time, it's not likely to have sufficient space.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2020 5:51 PM in response to ReneeReader

Yes, provided the Time Machine backup disk still has sufficient space remaining. Time Machine will keep those backups separate from one another and won't confuse the two.

It's normal for a TM backup disk to become almost completely full. Once that happens it begins to delete old and "expired" backups to make room for newer ones. That means if you have been using it for a long time, it's not likely to have sufficient space.

Can I use Time Machine to backup to an older Mac not running the current OS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.