Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine back up on iMac with different OS X

Hi guys

I’ve been given a 21.5 inch late 2009 iMac that currently has a clean version of High Sierra OS X installed.

I also have a Time Machine back up of my previous 24 inch early 2009 iMac that has was running El Capitan.

Am I able to migrate my Time Machine back up from my old iMac that was on El Capitan to the slightly newer iMac that has High Sierra?

Or will the time machine back up on the newer iMac install with El Capitan?

Posted on Apr 4, 2021 12:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2021 12:40 AM

Hi cheekyage,

You can use that OS X El Capitan Time Machine drive on the newer macOS High Sierra Mac.

Just use Setup Assistant to move the data. If you have already set up the High Sierra Mac, go to Finder > Go > Utilities, and open Migration Assistant and move data. That will erase all data already on the machine.

Cheers,

Jack

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2021 12:40 AM in response to cheekyage

Hi cheekyage,

You can use that OS X El Capitan Time Machine drive on the newer macOS High Sierra Mac.

Just use Setup Assistant to move the data. If you have already set up the High Sierra Mac, go to Finder > Go > Utilities, and open Migration Assistant and move data. That will erase all data already on the machine.

Cheers,

Jack

Time machine back up on iMac with different OS X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.