Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 14.3 contacts missing

I updated my iphone 11 to iOS 14.3 and now my contacts are missing. They are not backed up to the iCloud and I don't know how to get them back. Is there anyway I can get them back?

iPhone 11, iOS 14

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 11:35 AM

5 replies

Jan 18, 2021 10:02 AM in response to LD150

I have the same issue, this solution did not work for me. I made no changes other than the upgrade to iOS 14.3. Some contacts are shown, most are not. I have 97 contacts showing on my phone, but 733 on my iPad, where I can still see them. I cannot search for contacts, but when I enter the phone number to dial someone, the name shows so the contact is there somewhere. But I am not going to drag my iPad around to have my full contact list.

Jan 18, 2021 10:21 AM in response to Sbasa

Well you have a similar issue.

In your ipad and your iphone go to

Settings, Contacts, Accounts

(on older ios it may be in Settings, Passwords and accounts)

Look at the accounts - there must be a difference between how each device is set up.

If they are set up exactly the same (though I doubt it) and if you have access to a computer you can sign into the email or icloud account that hosts your contacts and take a close look at the list. If necessary export them to CSV file and take a look for contacts that are missing and look at the format., You will have to do some proper investigation..

Jan 18, 2021 11:26 AM in response to LD150

I checked the accounts on both devices. The differences are that my iPhone was set to default account of gmail, my iPad default account of iCloud. I set the iPhone account to iCloud, exited contacts, reopened, still missing contacts. I shut down my phone, restarted, still no contacts. Then for kicks I went into Groups. I don’t use Groups. My gmail was deselected on my iPhone, only my iCloud group was selected. I selected my gmail group, and there are all my 733 contacts. Maybe I deselected this by accident, but I don’t use groups and have no reason to go to that screen. And someone else is having that problem. Possibly a little bug?

Your time, attention and timeliness on this matter is much appreciated. Problem solved!

ios 14.3 contacts missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.