Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Movies files

In Movies file, why are there different folders created as EVENTS, MOVIES and PROJECTS? I just need one to store my videos in? I am recording VHS tapes through El Gato video capture to convert to movies. I just need one to save in alphabetical order. How did the different file names get created?

If I save them on the hard drive, can I edit them after I save them?

I am trying to teach myself how to use transfer VHS tapes to save on my computer. Any advice would be very helpful to this rookie.

Thanks so much!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 12:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2021 6:03 PM

Hi,

Here's a link to Apple's online help menu that has a good search feature where you can search by key word or topic. It will explain the features of iMovie and how to use them.

https://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/

Create some test projects and consult the help menu as needed and you will quickly familiarize yourself with the functions of iMovie.

-- Rich

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2021 6:03 PM in response to username57-

Hi,

Here's a link to Apple's online help menu that has a good search feature where you can search by key word or topic. It will explain the features of iMovie and how to use them.

https://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/

Create some test projects and consult the help menu as needed and you will quickly familiarize yourself with the functions of iMovie.

-- Rich

Jan 15, 2021 1:05 PM in response to username57-

Can you send a screen shot of what you are seeing?

An Event folder contains media data (video clips), without editing capability. A Project is an app that that contains tools to edit video clips that have been imported into it. A Project can be exported as an edited video (Movie) in Mp4 or .mov format.

Media imported from your VHS tapes will come in as video files into whatever destination that you choose. You can import them into a Finder folder on your Mac, or into QuickTimePlayer, or into the iMovie app.

If you import into iMovie, all of your footage will import into the iMovie Library located in the Movies folder on your Mac. In the iMovie Library they will show as Events (media data) because the footage has not yet been used in a project. Event media that is put into a Project will show as a Project in the Projects browser. There is no "Movies" folder category other than the Movies Finder folder that I mentioned above. An iMovie 10 library contains both events and projects.

If you import to a folder on your desktop, the media will go into that folder as video files in whatever format they were exported. The folder can be given any title that you want.

If you import to QuickTimePlayer, the video clips will come in with whatever format that the camera exported. When you export them from QuickTimePlayer they will export as a .mov file.

-- Rich

Jan 16, 2021 4:49 PM in response to Rich839

Thank you so much for your helpful tips.

How do I delete a video that I am trying to work on and edit? I don't always get to the screen with a

+ to allow me to create a new video if I have already started one. The old one is still there.

Why am I having so much trouble editing out / deleting parts of video out. The yellow boxes always appears around

the whole video. What am I doing wrong?

Is there an online instruction manual with apple that I can access somewhere?

The I movies that I have created so far are being saved into a newly created folder under Movies to save. Is that the best place?

I thought that they would be saved in I movies.

I seem to think that I understand what I am doing and take notes, then I have these issues that come up and I don't know

what is happening. I am truly a novice at all this and trying to learn.

Thanks so much!

Jan 18, 2021 7:32 PM in response to Rich839

Thank you so much. I had to uninstall and reinstall imovies after talking to Tech support at el gato and apple for about 3 hours total on the phone today. We tried to go back to imovies 9, but apple updated to imovies 10. So the El gato software no longer allows to save to imovies from the drop down window when saving the recorded video from chs tapes, just have to do it manually. Kinda frustrating. Was also having difficulty saving files in I movies once finalized.

Still in process of learning. I will keep trying.

Thanks again

Movies files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.