Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copying or not copying media into the Final Cut library

I'm editing a movie which has a 15GB video file. It resides on my hard drive, so I don't need another copy of it within the project, so I import it without copying to library, but after that, I want all media I put in, like stills and plugins, to be stored in the library so that they are always there. Is it possible to tell Final Cut not to import the giant file, but to import everything else?

That is, if I turn that feature on and off in Settings, does it work as intended depending on the setting? Or can I leave it set to store all media in the library, but then import an individual file without copying it, but without having to go into Settings to change the Import setting?

Mac Studio

Posted on Dec 28, 2022 3:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2022 3:57 PM

When you use the import window you can set the option to either copy into library or leave in place. If you drag and drop to import you can hold the ⌥ key to change from the preferences setting, to either add to the library or leave in place. Plugins are different. They can either be in the standard place outside of the library or using library properties be added into the library.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2022 3:57 PM in response to Cartoonguy

When you use the import window you can set the option to either copy into library or leave in place. If you drag and drop to import you can hold the ⌥ key to change from the preferences setting, to either add to the library or leave in place. Plugins are different. They can either be in the standard place outside of the library or using library properties be added into the library.

Copying or not copying media into the Final Cut library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.