Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I get a simple period punctuation mark to work on my iPad anymore?

This happened in 2017. Now again. Do not destroy grammar, Apple. And no I refuse to hard reset again and again or buy a new iPad.

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on Jan 16, 2021 2:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 11:57 AM

Hi Arlene554,

It sounds like you're experiencing an issue with punctuation on your iPad, and we'd like to see how we can help. 

To help us get a better understanding of the issue, we’d like to ask a few questions. 

1. Can you let us know more about this issue? For example, is the period key missing in the keyboard, or something else? 
  2. Is this occurring when typing in all applications, or just certain ones? 
  3. Are you using the built-in keyboard, or are you using another keyboard? About the keyboards settings on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
  4. If you're using the built-in keyboard, is "Smart Punctation" enabled under Settings > General > Keyboards > Smart Punctuation? 

Thanks!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2021 11:57 AM in response to Arlene554

Hi Arlene554,

It sounds like you're experiencing an issue with punctuation on your iPad, and we'd like to see how we can help. 

To help us get a better understanding of the issue, we’d like to ask a few questions. 

1. Can you let us know more about this issue? For example, is the period key missing in the keyboard, or something else? 
  2. Is this occurring when typing in all applications, or just certain ones? 
  3. Are you using the built-in keyboard, or are you using another keyboard? About the keyboards settings on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
  4. If you're using the built-in keyboard, is "Smart Punctation" enabled under Settings > General > Keyboards > Smart Punctuation? 

Thanks!

Why can't I get a simple period punctuation mark to work on my iPad anymore?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.