Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Local hostname in use

ok, so i searched and can't find anything quite matching my situation. I'm on the Big Sur 11.2 Beta (beta to solve another glitch with the screensaver starting and not going away) and I'm sharing some things on my local network from this machine: screen sharing and file sharing.

I got a message today that says "This Computers local hostname (my mac name) is already in use on this network. The name has been changed to (my mac name-2)".

I tried to change the name back in the sharing area, and it gives no error just instantly reverts to -2. I checked WINS in the advanced area of my network connect and it also shows the -2.

I do not have multiple network connections established (such as wifi and a wired connection, or multiple wireless connections, etc) which seems to be the common cause.

I also have the router setup to reserve IPs based on mac addresses and there are no conflicts.

And here's the kicker, if I ping each machine from another by "my mac name.local" and "my mac name-2.local" they *both* respond from the same IP address.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Mac mini, macOS 11.2

Posted on Jan 16, 2021 4:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2021 6:42 PM

If you are in a Beta program for any Apple product, then you are forbidden from discussing the Apple Beta product on these public user forums. Before installing any Beta product you should always read the terms & conditions for the Beta product. Some Beta products may have their own private forums for discussing issues and their own methods on how to report bugs. Check the confirmation e-mails from your Beta signup or the Terms & Conditions within the Beta software or wherever you downloaded the Beta software for more information. Usually Beta software comes with no official support from the vendor. This holds true for almost any Beta product even from other manufacturers or developers. It is the risk you take for installing a Beta product.

We have no idea whether this issue may be a more generic macOS issue or one specific to some new change within v11.2 which Apple may not want to be revealed to the public at this time. About the only thing we can discuss is how to perform a clean install to restore your system to an earlier version of macOS that has been officially released for all users.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2021 6:42 PM in response to kepsex

If you are in a Beta program for any Apple product, then you are forbidden from discussing the Apple Beta product on these public user forums. Before installing any Beta product you should always read the terms & conditions for the Beta product. Some Beta products may have their own private forums for discussing issues and their own methods on how to report bugs. Check the confirmation e-mails from your Beta signup or the Terms & Conditions within the Beta software or wherever you downloaded the Beta software for more information. Usually Beta software comes with no official support from the vendor. This holds true for almost any Beta product even from other manufacturers or developers. It is the risk you take for installing a Beta product.

We have no idea whether this issue may be a more generic macOS issue or one specific to some new change within v11.2 which Apple may not want to be revealed to the public at this time. About the only thing we can discuss is how to perform a clean install to restore your system to an earlier version of macOS that has been officially released for all users.

Local hostname in use

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.