Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP Laserjet Pro M402dw 79 service error from Mac only but not Windows 10 machine

Printer is shared by an HP Windows 10 Machine and a MAC running MacOS Big Sur 11.1. Connection is wireless. Periodically, I have trouble with print jobs from the Mac that cause the 79 Service error on the printer resulting in a restart and reboot of the printer. repeated attempts to delete the printer and reset the Mac printing system do not reliably solve the problem. While this is going on, I can always reliably print from my Windows machine so it is not the printer hardware. The only options that work are repeatedly resetting the printer system on the Mac and restarting the Mac and eventually, it goes away. Usually, this takes multiple tries. The Windows 10 machine never experiences this error.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 16, 2021 6:42 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Jan 18, 2021 1:54 PM in response to fsdukejr

Hi there fsdukejr,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! We understand you're running into some issues with printing from your Mac to your HP printer, and we'd be happy to get you pointed in the right direction.

To get started, have you checked for any software or driver updates for the printer on your Mac? Also, let's give the steps listed in the following resource a try that can help with troubleshooting issues with printing: Solve printing problems on Mac

If still having issues after these steps, we'd recommend reaching out to HP's support who may be able to provide some additional information and troubleshooting steps. You can reach out to HP's support directly at this link here: Customer Support - HP

We hope that helps.

Have a great day!

Jan 18, 2021 6:52 PM in response to fsdukejr

The "79 Service Errors" are quite common with the HP LaserJet printers especially printing from a Mac. Making sure the printer's firmware is up to date is important. If the firmware update doesn't resolve the error, then try using a different app to print the document. Sometimes you can save a document as a PDF and successfully print the PDF. I know there is one font in particular that will almost always cause an HP LaserJet to error out (I forget the font name, but it seems popular with teachers).

Another option can be to install a second copy of the printer, but use either the CUPS driver or the GutenPrint driver instead of the default driver. Print the troublesome document using the second printer installation.

If you are the creator of the document, then try to edit the document to get around the error. A font could be the problem, or perhaps some odd document formatting.

Also remember to clear out any old print jobs on the printer and the from the Mac's printing queue. Sometimes you will end up attempting to print the same file over & over again after rebooting the printer.

Sooner or later you are bound to encounter another "79 Service Error".

HP Laserjet Pro M402dw 79 service error from Mac only but not Windows 10 machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.